TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2008-12 > 1229643938

From: Sue Swiggum <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Ship from Glasgow to Quebec in 1880? - Success!
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 19:45:38 -0400

Hi Liz,

Congratulations ! Farmers and Labourers were prime emigration subjects
then, so that is why you see so many of them. Sometimes a list might have
something like Mechanic or Painter crossed through with Farmer or Labourer
inked in. :-}

CANADIAN was the third vessel of that name which belonged to the Allan Line
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/allan.html

Ship Description and Voyage History
http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/descriptions/ShipsC.html

I know that the description doesn't mention it, but in 1880 she made 4
trips from Glasgow to Quebec ... Captain Charles J. Menzies

Very nice Ship Picture
http://www.theshipslist.com/pictures/canadian1872.htm

> Also, does anyone
>know how they would have travelled the rest of the way from Quebec to
>South Dakota with two oxen in tow? Would they still have been likely
>to take a train

The CANADIAN also carried cattle as did many ships, in fact, on that trip
she was carrying "returning cattlemen"
Reel Number Ship Name Departure Information Arrival
Information Shipping Line Special Group(s) Remarks
C-4530 CANADIAN Glasgow, Scotland 1880-07-16 Quebec, Que.
1880-07-27 (MTL) Montreal Ocean Steamship Company (Allan Line) (L):
Cattlemen List Number: 60; Captain C.J. Menzies

So, yes, quite plausible that your family brought Oxen and yes, there were
good rail connections to SD in 1880.

Sue
--
TheShipsList Website
http://www.theshipslist.com/

At 06:11 PM 2008-12-18 +0000, Liz Loveland wrote:
>Hi again, everyone! Thanks to Naomi, I found them (surname
>misspelled, as is so common with the surname Philp) in the database of
>the Quebec City Passenger Lists Index 1865-1900. They were on board
>the Canadian in July 1880, and the database shows them arriving in
>Quebec on 27 July.
>
>I'm so glad to finally know when and how they came over! Now I'll see
>what I can dig up on the Canadian. At least on the page they are
>listed on, the passengers seem to have consisted primarily of farmers
>and laborers, and I'd like to know more about the ship.
>
>Thanks again!
>Liz Loveland

This thread: