TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2010-01 > 1264792370

From: David Dixon <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Ship "SARAH"
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 06:12:50 +1100

John,
The best that I could find on cost, from
http://www.parl.ns.ca/woodenships/why.htm

"Throughout the 1860s and 70s, wooden merchant vessels continued to be
built in the Maritimes at a relatively low cost (between $25 and $40 per
ton) as compared to iron steamships. From 1878 onward, however, the
supply of international shipping began to catch up with the demand,
freight rates fell, and the decline of wooden shipbuilding in Nova
Scotia began."

Regards,
Dave