TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2010-04 > 1272135479

From: Marj Kohli <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Harmonia
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 15:21:31 -0400

Mary

As Sue and Ted have noted the ship was Harmmonia. From the NY Times
of Oct 22, 1884 is this:

LATEST FOREIGN SHIPPING NEWS.
HAVRE, Oct. 21.--The Hamburg-American Line
steamship Hammonia, Capt. Schwenzen, from Ham-
burg, sld. [sailed] hence to-day for New-York.

Next she appears Oct 29:

INCOMING STEAMSHIPS.
DUE SATURDAY, NOV. 1.
City of Berlin, Land, Liverpool, Oct. 23.
Hammonia, Schwensen, Hamburg, Oct. 19.
Holland, Milligan, London, Oct. 16.
Katie, Petrowsky, Gothenburg, Oct. 18.

Next mention of her was that she was due to sail back to Europe on Nov. 6.

I also checked the London Times and got this in the shipping news of
Oct 21, 1884:

DOVER, Oct. 20.--The North German Lloyd steamer
Rhein, from Bremen for New York; the Hamburg-
American steamer Gellert, from New York for Hamburg;
the Hamburg-American steamer Hammonia, from Ham-
burg for New York; the Nederland-American steamer
Maasdam, from Rotterdam for New York; and the Belgian
Red Star Line steamer Do Ruyter, from New York for
Antwerp, passed here to-day.

Regards..

Marj