TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2010-11 > 1290461488

From: Marj Kohli <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] McARTHUR, Andrew & Agnes/ Ship Plantagenet
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:31:28 -0500

Mary

It is unlikely the family sailed from Ireland if the ship sailed from
Liverpool. The family most likely took a ferry to Liverpool and then
boarded the ship. This was very common.

I checked sailings from Liverpool around this date and did not find
this ship. There are several vessels by this name and they were
sailing to Australia and Canada. The one you are talking about does
not appear in the London Times. The NY Times of Mar 8, 1853 reports a
vessel by that name being passed by the steamship Wm. Penn, which was
arriving from New-Orleans so we know there was a ship by that name in the area.

So...I did some more checking and in the column "America" in the
London Times on Thursday, Jan 27, 1853 I found:

Arrived at New Orleans,--The Blanche and Plantaganet[sic], from
Liverpool; Stephen Glover, from Newport, Wales.

As to passenger lists -- I am sorry I cannot help.

Regards..

Marj