TheShipsList-L Archives

Archiver > TheShipsList > 2011-11 > 1322701884

From: Cyndi Norwitz <>
Subject: Re: [TSL] Daniel Hurley Queenstown to Boston 19 Feb 1894
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 17:11:24 -0800

On Nov 30, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Kevin MacKinnon wrote:

> My great-grandfather, born 14 Feb 1877, wrote on his Naturalization
> records that he immigrated to Boston on 19 Feb 1894 from Ireland. I
> would love to find the records, but can't seem to find a ship
> arriving on that day in ancestry.com or several other websites I
> have checked. I know the date provided is based on memory, but he
> did say that he was 17 when he arrived in Boston. Is there anyway
> to find out if any ship carrying Daniel Hurley, aged 17, arrived in
> Boston on or about 19 Feb 1894? Daniel ended up in Cambridge MA.

It can be a pain in the neck but another method is to go through the
ships' manifests by hand. I have found several family members this
way. Bad transcriptions are the usual reason why the search didn't
come up. I won't recommend this method if you can't narrow it down to
one or two ships though.

Keep in mind that the dates of arrival are often off by a day or two
depending on which part of the record you read and the Ancestry
searches are based on the one they chose, which may not be the same
one your relative remembered. It could even be a week or more
difference if he was detained for any reason (like not having much
cash on him or getting ill, or being a minor and needing to wait for
someone to come for him). If he gave such a specific date, he must
have remembered something about that day, but it might not be what the
ship's manifest says (or even correct). A lot of the naturalization
applications have the name of the ship and that is your best bet.

Another thing to keep in mind is that "from Ireland" may or may not
match the manifest. The ships appeared in some cases to have more
than one European stop. He may also have given the city that started
his journey, not the harbor where the ship was docked.

To browse the manifest, go to search all records then on the right
side choose passenger lists then the city where it arrived. After
that you'll put in the year, month, and day. Sounds like you may have
done this but someone else may want to know.

Good luck!
Cyndi

_______________
Cyndi Norwitz
Petaluma, California

Kotesova, Slovakia: DEUTELBAUM, ZELENKA
Budapest, Hungary: DEUTELBAUM, KARPATI, GROSZMANN
Cleveland, OH & Chicago, IL & Pittsburgh, PA: DEUTELBAUM
Boston, MA: KARPATI
Chudnov, Ukraine: DUBIN
Cherykov, Belarus & Newark, New Jersey: FRIEDMAN
Warsaw, Poland & Bronx, New York: NAIMSKY
Lomza, Poland & Washington DC: NITOWITZ, NORWITZ
Lativa & Baltimore, MD: GOLDSTEIN
Lithuana: SHAVEL, SHAVELLE

This thread: