UFT-L Archives

Archiver > UFT > 2009-07 > 1247621456

From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [UFT] UFT and the Family Journal Report Format
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 18:30:56 -0700 (PDT)

John,
TMG produces a Family Journal report that is close to, but I don't think as good as, UFT's.

By default, TMG lists most of the tags (events) together in one paragraph. By modifying tag sentences, you can get certain tags to always start on a new paragraph, and there are a few other tricks to get the report to produce reasonable sized paragraphs, but it takes quite a bit of work. I don't know UFT's algorithm for breaking up the text into paragraphs, but it seems to work very well, most of the time.

TMG does not have as complete an "all spouse data" option as UFT, and I generally want that option.

TMG has a method of inserting index entries into tag memo text, which is more flexible than UFT's, but requires quite a bit more work. In UFT, an index entry for a person is added to the text by inserting the person's number within the Name Index controls. I generally type (or copy) the person's number into the place I want the index entry, I then block it, and then click on the Name Index button just below the text window.

TMG requires you to enter the index data exactly as you want it in the index. There are several options in how you have TMG (or UFT) format the index entries. In particular, do you want the birth and death dates included, and if so, what format? I always want (birthyear-deathyear), as that is the way I can tell apart the various people with the same names. That means you need to put the correct dates in the index entries that you put into the memos. If you create the index entries and then correct the birth or death dates, or the person's name, in the individual's record, then you have to update all index entries you already entered for that person - if you can find them all.

For example, if you enter the list of names in a census into a memo text, when you first find the census, you will not have the exact birth date, you will have no death date, and the names in the census may not be the proper names of the people. In UFT, when you create a person record from a census, you can add the index reference (person number) into the census text. As you improve the data for these individuals (e.g. get a birth record), you do not have to update the index entries. UFT will use the latest name and dates when you produce a journal report.

In TMG, if you change a person's name or birth or death dates, you may end up with multiple index entries for one individual - an entry for references that are part of a tag sentence (using the latest data), and an entry for each format of the index entries for that person that you add to the memo text yourself.

And the TMG import (GenBridge) of the UFT data does not have the ability to add birth and death dates to the UFT index entries that it converts to TMG index entries (you just get "last, given name"). If and when I finally convert my data to TMG, I will have thousands of index entries to update with the birth and death years. At least I always use the same format for the birth and death years. If I wanted to change the format, I would have to edit all my index entries.

I suggested to Bob Velke how he could add an index entry format that would just use the individuals' numbers, but he envisaged a number of problems, although I don't think they are significant. At least not as significant as trying to maintain index entry data in memo text as you update the data of some of your people.

My preferred method is to create a number of journal reports for various parts of a family and combine them into a single publication. I use a Master Document in WordPerfect that includes the various journal reports and produces a single index, and a single table of contents, for the entire document. While these steps can be done in TMG, it's the details that cause TMG's reports to be less satisfactory.

So my recommendation is: if you are satisfied with UFT's journal report, stick with UFT. While other programs have similar reports, make sure they meet your needs before you convert your data. For me, an index is a vital part of any proper genealogy report. I need a method of creating index entries in text that I set once and it always produces consistent entries in the index.

Pierce