UFT-L Archives

Archiver > UFT > 2009-07 > 1248146759

From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [UFT] UFT and MS Word 2007
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:25:59 -0700 (PDT)

Bob Kirk
> I wonder if this has anything to do with the new file extensions
> Microsoft introduced in Office 2007.   For some reason they introduced
> an extra letter to the extension, so that a Word document had the
> extension .docx instead of that used in previous versions which
> was .doc.
>
> You can disable this new feature and have the Office documents use the
> pre 2007 extensions.   I cant think of a good reason why they chose to
> change this feature other than to make everyone upgrade to the new
> version.   I set mine back to the pre 2007 extensions and haven't
> experienced any problems.
>
> Just a thought.

The 'x' added to the extensions for MS Office 2007 refers to the entirely new format MS uses to store it's files.

Microsoft is now using XML (eXtensible Markup Language) to store documents. This may cause compatibility problems for various programs.

However, I believe MS Office 2007 programs can save files in older formats so that they can be read older versions of their products. For example, Word 2007 should be able to save documents in word 2003, 2002, and maybe older versions of Word. In those cases, the extension should be .doc.

In any case, I don't believe this change is the cause of the problem under discussion. However, since I have never used MS Office 2007, I am guessing how MS

This thread: