UK-MORLEY-FHG-L Archives

Archiver > UK-MORLEY-FHG > 2007-05 > 1179748296

From: linda mellows <>
Subject: Re: [UK-MORLEY-FHG] Haylwood and Ackroyd
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:51:36 +0100 (BST)

Hiya Caroline...My Dad also worked at Hailwood and Ackroyd...glass blowing.
I have a few things he made for me when I was little...one being a crystal Ball..which I believed to have magic powers when I was a tot! I'm just looking now at an ashtray made from glass..with the inscription 'Hailware' in the bottom and a pic of a man blowing glass with the tube...Dad tells me his friend 'Ernest Baldwin' the wrestler posed for the picture as he used to work at the factory when he wasn't wrestling....

cheers,
Linda

caroline hutchinson <> wrote: Hi All,
I have spent many many hours in the Beacon works and later in the building on the Glen that is now a kitchen warehouse but in the 79's 80's contained the wonderful furnaces watching the lads blowing the shades (they also made penguins one of which is in my cabinet now). My dad and grandad worked, along with members of my husbands family but didnt know it at the time, there. My dad was a lorry driver and I have travelled the length and breadth of Britain delivering the shades and chimneys they made for the likes of Chris Rays lighting Emporium, Kings Road Chelsea. I went to school on Bridge Street Morley so after school used to walk round the corner to the glass works and wait for a lift home with dad.
If anyone would like to know about the works in the 70's I could ask dad.
Caroline