UK-ROMANI-L Archives

Archiver > UK-ROMANI > 2004-10 > 1097137516

From: "Paul Murton" <>
Subject: Zephaniah Murton
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 08:25:16 +0000

Hi,

I've just joined the group, and I'm hoping someone will be able to offer
advice on discovering more about my GG grandfather Zephaniah Murton, who I
believe may be from a Romani family.I'm afraid I know very little about
Romani history or what sources may be available.

According to the information I have been able to gather, Zephaniah Murton
was born in Diss, Norfolk (England) about 1828, although I have not been
able to find any record of his birth or baptism.

The first proper record I have of him is the 1851 census where he's living
in Plymouth and gives his occupation as general hawker. By 1854 he's gained
a 'wife' in London (I've not been able to find any record of a marriage),
and had his fisrt child. On the birth cert his occupation is given as
Traveller.

Over the course of next few decades, Zeph moves back to Plymouth, and
various documents give his occupations as Wardrobe dealer, Fruiterer,
Clothes Dealer.

Most of his sons became butchers, which seemed to become something of a
family trade. There were a couple of grandsons that became nationally known
boxers in the 1920's.

Based on the list of occupations, it seems a reasonable guess that he
possibly came from a Romani family. However, although the Murton name is not
nationally very common, in the Diss area of Norfolk ( where he says he was
born), the name is quite common, and there are a number of Murton families
in the surrounding area. This perhaps indicates that he's not really from a
Romani family.

I have no idea if the Murton name is linked with Romani's, but would
appreciate anyones opinion, and a point in the right direction to find more
information would also be very welcome.

If you're interested in Zephaniah or other Murton's, I've included a link to
my web site below..

http://www.murton.v21hosting.co.uk/zeph.htm

Thanks,

Paul