UK-WATCHMAKERS-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WATCHMAKERS > 2004-03 > 1078271635

From: RICHARD CONSTABLE <>
Subject: Re: [WATCH] JOHN MOLE WATCHMAKER BIRMINGHAM
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 23:53:55 +0000 (GMT)

Hello Pat,

I have a copy of Joseph McKenna's "Clockmakers & Watchmakers of Central England", published by Mayfield Books in 2002.

This has the following entries (C for clockmaker/W for watchmaker):-

Mole, Charles
105 New Street, Birmingham (1867-8 W)

Mole, Henry L.
103 Highgate Street, Sparkbrook, Birmingham (1896 W)

Mole, James
High Street, Birmingham (1760 C): Longcase clock with brass dial known.

Mole, John & L.
97 Bull Street, Birmingham (1858-74 C&W)
High Street, Birmingham (1860-71)
106 Coleshill Street, Birmingham (1863)
210 Bloomsbury Street, Birmingham (1864-5)
212 Ashted Row, Birmingham (1866-9)
36 New Street, Birmingham (1870-4)
2 Queen Street, Wolverhampton (1876-84)
Traded as Mole & Lane 1871-4.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Richard Constable.

Patricia Sheldon <> wrote:
Hello List,

My husbands G.G. Grandfather was JOHN MOLE. He had premises in Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton from 1860 to 1876.

I would like to get more information on him if possible, which is proving very difficult. I cannot find him or his family on the 1851 census for Birmingham and have just discovered a marriage entry which MAY be him for LAMBETH LONDON. He married a CHARLOTTE BARBER and the entry in the Free BMDs was for John Mole and Charlotte Barber in 1852.

They were in Birmingham for 1855 when I have a child with them as her parents. This may or may not be their first child. They had at least two others the last being Kate Emily born 1863 in Birmingham.

Is it possible to find out how successful or otherwise he was at his business?

Any help or advice is most welcome.

Regards
Pat Sheldon.