UK-WATCHMAKERS-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WATCHMAKERS > 2011-06 > 1307993126

From: "Faith & Tony" <>
Subject: Re: [WATCH] A list of Irish Watch and Clockmakers by Fennell
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:25:26 +0100

Hi Nivard
Thank you very much for your research. I was interested to see you have his
occupation as 'secret spring maker'. I had in my ignorance read this from
the census as 'socket spring maker'. I read an article about watchmaking in
Clerkenwell in this period last night and it seems it was a kind of assembly
line with small parts of the watches being made separately. Do you know if
he would have had an apprenticeship for this trade? I have yet to find him
in his home town in Norfolk, but hope to do so in due course. It would be
nice if his father was in that line of business too.
Many thanks for your help.
Faith Moulin