UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP-L Archives

Archiver > UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP > 2000-10 > 0970700849


From: "rossbret" <>
Subject: [UK-W&H] History - Erdington
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:07:29 +0100


Jaffray Hospital, Erdington, Birmingham
Founded in 1885 with aid from Mr Jaffray, due to lack of medical provision
in the area. Built on land at Gravelly Hill, it was demolished in 1995.

The Jaffray Suburban Hospital, at Gravelly Hill, is for chronic cases
transferred from the General Hospital, and has 56 beds. The gift of Sir John
Jaffray bart, of Park Grove, Edgbaston, occupies a site of eight acres in
extent. The foundation stone was laid by Lord Leigh with Masonic rites, on
the 4th of June 1884, and the building was opened by H.R.H. The Prince of
Wales, 27th November 1885.

It is constructed of red brick relieved with terracota in the revived Queen
Anne style, from designs by Mr. Yeoville Thomason F.R.I.B.A. architect, of
Birmingham, and consists of a central portion and two boldly projecting
wings. The Hospital is of two storeys, the principal entrance being by a
central porch facing a curvilinear carriage drive and lawn.

The ground floor consists of the entrance hall, receiving room and other
offices connected with the administrative department. In the central block,
on the ground floor are the surgeons and matrons sitting rooms, receiving
room, dispensary, store room and officers dining room, and in the rear, the
housekeepers store room, kitchens and other domestic offices. On the first
floor are the bedrooms for the various officers, linen room, and nurses
bedrooms. A third storey in the roof of the central section , affords
sleeping accommodation for the servants and day nurses; altogether there is
room for an administrative staff of about twenty persons.

The west wing is intended for female, and the east for male patients - two
wards, one on the ground floor, and one on the first floor, being allotted
to each class. Each ward is arranged for fourteen beds, allowing a cubical
space of nearly 1,300 feet for every patient. A complete system of
ventilation on scientific principles has been carried out, and the wards are
also efficiently warmed; the projecting octagonal pavilions contain
bathrooms, lavatories and offices, and there is an entrance lodge for the
general porter, with coach house and other offices. In the corridors are
five large and valuable pictures from the Strawberry Hill Collection, the
gift of the Late Sir Francis Bolton.

******************************************

Listmom: UK-WORKHOUSE-HOSP
http://www.workhouses.co.uk
******************************************


This thread: