UNANGST-L Archives

Archiver > UNANGST > 1997-09 > 0873976285

From: <>
Subject: Unangst Discussion
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 07:11:25 -0400 (EDT)

Recently we had a discussion go back and forth between Paul H. Unangst,
Carrie B. and myself. Maybe some of you can add to the discussion.

Subj:Re: Unangst name gen'gy.
Date:97-08-25 00:39:26 EDT
From: (Carrie E. Bodensteiner)
CC:

Dear Paul:

To clarify (or more likely confuse further) on the Andrew line:

There is much confusion about several of the early UNANGSTs, as everyone
knows. You, for example, show as one person a George Heinrich 1752 s/o
George Heinrich 1723 that other researchers attribute to Johan Sebastian
c1720. Etc. I doubt whether THAT one will every be fully resolved to
everyone's satisfaction; in the meanwhile, we all just have to make a
decision when confronted with our genealogy software and make the best
of it! I've gone ahead in my software and shown GH 1723 and Bastian as
brothers, of which NO ONE has any proof, but it sure makes it easier
when I'm working on my UNANGST line to FIND everyone.

Andrew is another case in point. I will paste below what I've got in my
NOTES file on Andrew. For the moment I'm showing him as s/o George
Heinrich 1723 but would be delighted for further input.

It really does seem reasonable that these UNANGSTs are all related
SOMEHOW, given the narrow time frame and geography of the area, and the
rarity of the surname (look at Census records from the early 1800s,
there aren't ANY of them ANYWHERE ELSE in the U.S.!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NOTES ON ANDREW:
DAR Patriot Index lists Andrew as a Pvt PA, wife's name unknown.

LDS Ancestral File lists Andrew as son of George Heinrich & unknown
mother.
(AFN:MOLX-TN)

According to D.R. Heckman, "History of the Heckman Family", pp. 13,
Andrew was born in the Palatinate, Germany, 1/31/1741, and died either
in Peters Twp, Franklin Cty, Penn, or Chambersburg, on 4/4/1812. He was
buried in the 1st Lutheran Church, Chambersburg.

Emigrated with his father on the "Patience", Hugh Steel master, sailing
from Rotterdam, landing at Philadelphia, 9/19/1749. He owned a house &
lot in Chambersburg and a farm in Peters Twp, where he was living when
his will was executed, 10/4/1810.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"My grandfather Unangst and grandmother: Emigrated from Wittenburg
Germany while single. On arriving in America they were sold as servants
for a certain time and amount to pay for their passage over the Ocion
[ocean]. Sometime after being Free they were married and settled in the
State of Maryland in the neighborhood of Greencastle and Gamblestown &
Ganogogia & Sweet Springs and 10 or 12 miles south of Chambersburg
Franklin County, Penn. Grandfather's name was Andrew and some suppose
his wife's Christian name was Barbarah. They had 4 or 5 daughters (no
sons). My mother's name was Elizabeth. I think one was called Susan, 1
Catherine, and 1 Barbara. One was married to Henry Heckman, 1 to
Michael Heckman, 1 to Davis Kraft, and perhaps 1 to his brother. All
living in the neighborhood of Chambersburg & Strawsburg. My cousin
Henry Heckman junior lived on Grandfather's farm the last I knew of, I
saw one of his brothers in Canton, Stark Co., Ohio about 30 years ago."
--"BIOGRAPHICAL RECORD OF MY ANCESTORS" by Nicolas Failor, Belton, Cass
Co., Mo., August 2nd 1886 (typed copy from Lauren KNOBLAUCH)

--
Carrie E. Bodensteiner - Madras, Oregon 97741
http://www.mtjeff.com/~bodenst/page1.html

Subj:[Fwd: Unangst Stuff 8/23/97]