UNDERWOOD-L Archives

Archiver > UNDERWOOD > 2001-05 > 0989336950

From: Rebecca Benson <>
Subject: Re: [Underwood] question
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 08:49:26 -0700 (PDT)

This is from another person in the Hammett/Underwood
connection.

I descend from Thomas Underwood who married Margaret
Hammett. All the researchers I've ran across havn't
been able to determine who Thomas
Underwood and sister Sarah Underwood's father was, but
has been suggested it was either the Thomas Underwood
who lived in Fauquier Co., VA, or
William Underwood who lived in Culpepper Co., VA
and...what relation they may of had, if any. From a
Underwood cousin Kay Lamb, who started
researching this line in 1953 and long before I
thought of doing research ...as I was but a toddler
then...had quite a bit before finding Kay and since
have
gotten a copy of her book...which makes it so nice
having it in book form...and have depended on her book
for easy lookups. Looks like Kay has a
little on George's lineage for..but, it's a bit late
right now for me to do much digging into it now...

In Kay's genealogy, she has....

Children for Mr. Underwood...(Thomas Underwood or
William Underwood??):

-Thomas Underwood b. ca 1734/35 m. Margaret Hammett
-Sarah Underwood b. between 1738 & 1740 m. John
Underwood
-Elizabeth Underwood b. ca 1742 m. George Green in
Fauquier Co., VA (William Underwood signed their
marriage bond).
-Jennie Underwood b. ca 1744 m. Francis Strother
-Mary "Polly/Molly" Underwood b. ca 1746 m. Ely/Eli
Thompson
-George Underwood b. between 1750 & 1760 m. Sally
(Sarah?) Underwood

There's a John Underwood b. ca 1723 (in prob. VA) who
is the proven brother to Mr. Underwood above, by way
of George Hammett's letters that are
archived in Nova Scotia....and would be the uncle to
my Thomas Underwood and sister Sarah Underwood...and
other siblings.

I have copies of these letters...will reread them to
see what I find if anything on George Underwood. I
think I remember his name being mentioned...but
what was said I don't remember.

--- wrote:
> In checking, none of my Williams match your
> information. Thomas did not have
> a John for a brother. Thomas Jefferson had a son
> JohnThomas. William C. Sr.
> had a son, Thomas who married Lucinda Ratliff.I
> Have you communicated with William T. Smith? He
> wrote the book InOutOldKy
> and that is his email address.
> I don't mind exchangeing but I don't have a computer
> program and all my work
> is done by hand. I am trying to get it together for
> Mr. Smith now but it is
> very time consuming. If you still think I have
> something you can use let me
> know and I'll make an additional copy. You'll need
> to send an address and be
> patient. Sharon

> Visit Ancestry.com for a FREE 14-Day Trial and enjoy
> access to the #1
> Source for Family History Online. Go to:

http://www.ancestry.com/subscribe/subscribetrial1y.asp?sourcecode=F11HB

This thread: