UNDERWOOD-L Archives

Archiver > UNDERWOOD > 2004-12 > 1103478816

From: Dolores PRINGLE <>
Subject: Lewis and Rosie BUCHANAN UNDERWOOD thoughts
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:53:36 -0800 (PST)

The UNDERWOOD line that I have searched forever, it seems, consists of John and Annet UNDERWOOD, thought to be brothers. They married Susanna and Elizabeth TEAGLE, respectively, in Fauquier Co., VA. in 1755 and 1759. Before 1790 both couples were in Union Co., SC. where John P. UNDERWOOD d.1808 and Susanna TEAGLE UNDERWOOD d. 1820. Annet (spelled various ways) and Elizabeth TEAGLE UNDERWOOD moved to Pickens Co., SC, in the western corner of the state by 1830 where Annet d. 1839. [The TEAGLE sisters were daus of Richard TEAGLE and Elizabeth (PRICE?) who were, of course, in VA also.

Both men had sons named Lewis UNDERWOOD. One of them, and most people think it was John P.'s son, moved to Indiana and married Keziah BOND. There were other UNDERWOODS in the same area of Indiana, and since some of their names were similar, I feel sure this is why Lewis moved there. Following are the children of Lewis. and Keziah BOND UNDERWOOD:
Keziah BOND b. 17 Jul. 17 1799, Surry Co. NC, d. 17 May 1866, Adair Co, IA; m 9 Oct. 1816, Wayne Co, IN to Lewis UNDERWOOD b.9 Dec 1789 SC, d. 26 Jul. 1865 Adair Co, IA.

11 known children:

Andrew UNDERWOOD b. 28 De.c 1818 Wayne Co, IN, d.11 Feb. 1904 Indian Terr., now OK., near Vinita City; m 28 Dec. 1839 Randolph Co, IN, Agatha HUTCHINS.

Jane UNDERWOOD b. 28 Mar. 1821 Surry Co, NC, d. 5 Feb. 1843.

Susannah UNDERWOOD b. 12 May 1823 Surry Co, NC, d.1846; m 15 Jan. 1842 Wayne Co, IN, Raford KEAN.

Exum UNDERWOOD b.12 May 1825 Randolph Co, IN, d. 28 Octm 1861; m 5 Jun. 1846 Randolph Co. IN, Jane M. HUTCHINS.

Lucinda UNDERWOOD b. 4 Aug. 1827 Randolph Co, IN, d. 5 Feb. 1870; m 24 May 1850 Randolph Co, IN, Jeremiah RINARD.

Elvina UNDERWOOD b.24 Mar. 1829 Randolph Co, IN, d. 1870; m ca 1856, 2d wife of Barnabas PAYNE. more below.

Enoch UNDERWOOD b. 2 Mar. 1830 Randolph Co, IN, d. 3 Apr 1830 Randolph Co, IN.

Annet UNDERWOOD b.17 May 1831 Randolph Co, IN, d. ca.1862; m 1st. Harriet GOODWIN, 2d. ca 1854 Irene BOND.

Huldah Matilda UNDERWOOD b.4 Oct. 1833 Randolph Co, IN, d. 24 Sep. 1877; m 7 Mar. 1850 Randolph Co, IN, Nathan Mendenhall.

Anna Delano UNDERWOOD b. 3 Dec. 1835 Randolph Co, IN.

Elizabeth Lurana UNDERWOOD b.29 Jul. 1837 Randolph Co, IN, d. near Menlo, IA; m 4 Jul 1855 Randolph Co, IN, Stover RINARD.

Although this Lewis named daus. Elizabeth and Susanna, notice that he named a son Annet (a rather unique name for a guy), he did NOT name a son John after his supposed father. This is one reason that I think he may have been a son of Annet and Elizabeth rather than John P. and Susanna - something else to work on!!!

Lewis' son Exum and wife Jane HUTCHENS named a son Annet Wesley UNDERWOOD. I have no other wives or children for Lewis' sons. This family moved to Idaho and I believe that Lewis moved to Idaho aft Keziah died - can't remember for certain, but I believe he is buried there.

So, I cannot prove it, but I am quite certain that your Lewis UNDERWOOD belongs to this line and is prob a son of one of the Lewis' sons who came fr. VA (born there) to SC to IN. Oh, his b'date makes it such that he could have been a son of either John Paul or Annet, too, so that doesn't help!

I have spent so much time on my UNDERWOODS with little findings

on them that it is a pleasure to be able to help someone else! Hope this works for you and is a help. I will check some other files and see what I find.

God bless, and a happy and safe Christmas!

Dolores Miller Pringle

My Lewis Underwood who married Rosie Buchanan, came from Indiana.
Supposedly did not have any relatives in Etowah, McMinn Co, TN. Does anyone
have any info on this man.