UNITED-EMPIRE-LOYALIST-L Archives

Archiver > UNITED-EMPIRE-LOYALIST > 2007-06 > 1182910473

From: "elizabeth robbins" <>
Subject: Re: [UNITED-EMPIRE-LOYALIST] Smith Family
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:14:33 -0400

Hi Carolyn,
I think the following is your family.
I have a David Smith born ca. 1775, somewhere in the States. I wish I had
more information to give you on David and the family he descends from.
Here is what little I do have:
David born ca. 1775, died 29 Aug 1861 in Gainsborough Twp, Lincoln County.
He married Mary?, she died 15 Mar 1848, in Gainsborough, they are both
buried at St. Ann's Presbyterian Cemetery, in Gainsborough.

In a Misc. book from Esther Summers of Beaver Dams, in Niagara:
"Roll 265 under 14 ............. #20 David Smith of Gainsboro, born Jersey,
emigrated to Upper Canada in 1800 - is 49 with wife and 9 children. Received
a grant 4 years ago for 100 acres and is petitioning for more. 17 Mar 1824.
Reverse: Grant 8 Sept 1819 located in Esquesing. OC 100 acres in addition, 6
Apr 1824."

David and Mary lived on Lot 20 concession 5 in Gainsborough Twp, Lincoln
County, Ontario, which they purchased (not a Crown Grant).
Children (I might not have the right order):
David Jr., John, Matthew, Robert, Elizabeth, Charles, Ann, Mary, and
Thomas/Thompson

John lived in Erin Twp, County of Wellington and it looks like Matthew,
Robert and Thompson lived in Erin too.
Elizabeth married John Root and they also lived in Erin.
Mary married a Boughman (sic) and it looks like they lived in Erin.

2ndly; David married Isabella Evans, widow, ca. 1850 (my 3rd great
grandmother)

Does anyone have more information................... I would love to know
more?
Elizabeth Robbins

PS: I do have other information.