UPPER-CANADA-L Archives

Archiver > UPPER-CANADA > 1999-09 > 0938733796

From: John Helmut Merz <>
Subject: Re: [UPP-CAN] Bamberg, Waterloo County, Ontario.
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 16:23:16 -0700

Hello, Judith, glad you like the list, we all try to get good and useful
information on it, and it seems to work. I could not get the following
volume either of Mika's 'Places in Ontario', and I just wonder if any
of our other subscribers does have it, and would let us know about.
Your posting, which I will forward here in full, is self-explanatory,
and perhaps you/we will get some answers.
Regards, John

jabc wrote: mailto:
> Hi John,
> I've read with interest and subscribed to this Upper-Canada list. So
> far, nothing seemed to apply to my own ancestors. But I purchased a copy of
> Mika's, Places in Ontario, Part 1, after you mentioned it.
> In the section on Dover, I found a reference to "Farther
> downstream...in the early 1800's....pioneers on the banks of Paincourt
> Creek were of French origin, and among them were J. Bte. Loson,...."
> Several questions: Does J. Bte. mean Jean-Baptiste?
> My g. g. grandfather Alexander Loson/Luson/Lozon was born in 1825
> in Upper Canada. His sons were born there according to family history.
> (Alexander was born in 1847 in Paincourt, and my g. grandfather, Adolphus
> was born in Dover Township in 1860.) I have been told Paincourt was first
> settled in 1815. If J.Bte. Loson, first settled there and 10 years later my
> g., g., grandfather was born there, maybe J.Bte. is my g.,g.,g.,
> grandfather.
> Mika's book gave as a reference: H. Belden & Co.: Historical Atlas of
> Kent County, 1881. How do I do the research to get to the source?
> And how do I find Census information before 1861?
> Unfortunately, Volume 2, was already sold out, so I can't look up
> Paincourt.
>I'm very willing to work on this, do you have any suggestions on how to
> start?
> Judith Lozon Colein, Michigan

This thread: