UPSHAW-L Archives

Archiver > UPSHAW > 1999-03 > 0921175778

From: Tom Upshaw <>
Subject: Red Upshaw
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:09:38 -0500

Here is some information on Margaret Mitchell's husband Red Upshaw from
Rhonda Austin (). If her source, "Road to Tara" by
Anne Edwards (1983. Ticknor and Fields), is reliable, then this contradicts
the information we had that Red was the son of Leroy Columbus Upshaw.
Tom
-----------

Tom,
FYI on "Red" Upshaw that I ran across in my research on Margaret
Mitchell:
Full name - Berrien Kinnard Upshaw
Parents - William F. Upshaw and Annie Likhs Kinnard Upshaw.
Family was from Monroe, Ga. William was an insurance salesman. Red
entered the US Naval Academy on June 26, 1919, resigned voluntarily on
Jan. 5, 1920; was readmitted in May, and resigned again on 9/1/1920. Red
died in Galveston, Texas in a drop from the fifth floor of a downtown
hotel on Jan. 13, 1949. Body was sent to Raleigh, N.C. for burial. This
information is in the book I emailed you about earlier. Hope it is
useful. Rhonda

This thread: