UPTON-L Archives

Archiver > UPTON > 1999-01 > 0916445773

From: "Hill, Pat" <>
Subject: RE: [UPTON-L] MARY UPTON married WILLIAM VAUGHN about 1780
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 19:16:13 -0500

Sarah,

Parent's of the James Upton you asked about.
Additional info available on each child marked with "#"...total file is 500+
pages.

Pat Hill

**********Please View in Full Screen Mode****************

> [...]
> UPTON, although there is some doubt about the middle name.
>
> Lastly, several of John and Elizabeth's sons (and possibly Elizabeth
> herself) are known to have left Georgia in the late 1780's or early 1790's
> and gone to South Carolina. Perhaps Elizabeth went to South Carolina to
> care for an aging, widowed mother? Son George married in the Pendleton
> District of SC in 1795, and sons Phillip and William were living in that
> District in 1800. Son Tobias became a permanent resident of Columbia, SC.
>
> Elizabeth's father, Thomas Roberts III, appears to have lived in the old
> "96 District" of South Carolina. The 96 District included Edgefield Co.
> (just across the Savannah River from the Upton's home) and Pendleton
> County. The 1790 Census appears to list his sons Absolom and Thomas in
> Edgefield Co.; and sons Amos and William in Pendleton County. A John
> Roberts was in Edgefield Co. and two were in Pendleton County. Several
> other Roberts families in both counties of the 96 District were likely
> grandsons.
>
> Mary Roberts, apparently a widow, lived near Absolom, John and Thomas in
> Edgefield County in 1790. She may have been the widow of Thomas Roberts
> III, and the mother of Elizabeth Upton. Also in her home were 4 other
> females and a male under 16. If Mary was Elizabeth's mother, the household
> may have include Elizabeth and her youngest son Tobias.
>

> William R. Upton, great-grandson of John, states in the 1893 Upton History
> that "old John was a gunsmith" (as were his son George W. and grandsons
> Nathaniel and Phillip) and "that he had fourteen sons and two daughters".
>

> No absolute proof can be presented to establish beyond all doubt that any
> of those listed as the second generation of this family were the sons of
> John and Elizabeth. However, circumstantial evidence of places, names,
> times and association seems to tie them together as 11 of the 14 sons of
> John and Elizabeth Upton. Except for George W. Upton , the ages of John's
> children are unknown and are estimated based on known events in their
> lives and some limited Census information.
> (exact order is unknown, but this listing is probably close, except I
> think there is a strong possibility that James was the first child)
>
> Three other sons were said to have existed by William R. Upton in 1890.
> Some or all probably died young. No record has been located of them.
>
> CHILDREN (Probably born Maryland/Delaware):
>
> #3.aa John Upton, (ca.1738-1789)
> -m. Delilah _______ (1743-aft.1810), Cumberland Co., NC abt 1772
> -John built and operated a Grist mill in "Fayette Ville", NC
> -he apparently died in Moore Co., North Carolina, where Widow
> Delilah and their children lived in 1790.
>
> #3.ab James Upton, (ca.1740-after 1806)
> -James may have been the first child and may be named for John's
father.
> -the first record of James is a 1770 deed in Bladen Co., NC where
James was the seller of land in the same area where
brothers John
and Robert then lived.

> #3.ac David Upton, (ca.1742-1800/10)
> -married _____, (possibly Lavinia)
> -settled and died in Chatham Co. NC
>
> #3.ad Richard Upton, (ca.1744-1790/99)
> -married Sarah _____
> -settled and died in Moore Co. NC
>
> #3.ae Benjamin Upton, (ca.1746-1821)
> -married Judith Wilkes
> -settled and died in Warren Co. GA
>
> #3.af Robert Upton, (ca. 1748-1819),
> -married Anna Copeland
> -Served NC in Revolutionary War
> -settled and died in Robeson Co. NC
>
> #3.ag Edward Upton, (ca.1750-after 1798)
> -Served GA in Revolutionary War
> -married Mrs. Mary Eaton (a widow)
> -lived in Georgia, moved to NC, then later returned to Georgia where

he probably died.

> #3.ah Phillip Upton, (ca.1752-after 1813)
> -Served GA in Revolutionary War
> -married Rachael _____
> -lived in Georgia, moved to South Carolina in the late 1790's, he
returned to Georgia in the early 1800's, then moved to Overton
Co.,TN
before 1813. He probably died in Overton Co. TN before
1820.

> 3.ai Sarah Upton, (17??- Unk)
> -Probably married in Georgia or South Carolina.
> -No further record.
>
> (born Holston River, NC)
> #3.aj George W. Upton, (1759-02/20/1854)
> -Served GA in Revolutionary War in battles near Augusta
> -married Charity Barrow, in 1795, in SC
> -lived in Georgia, moved to South Carolina in the late 1790's, then
> returned to Georgia in the early 1800's, then moved to Overton
> Co.,
TN, then returned to Georgia in the early 1800's, later
moved to
Alabama.
> -died Dekalb Co., Alabama, age about 95.
>
> #3.ak William Upton, (1760/70-1830/40)
> -married Nancy ________
> -lived in Georgia, moved to South Carolina in the late 1790's, then
> returned to Georgia in the early 1800's, moved to Overton Co., TN

before 1813. William probably died in Overton Co., TN

> 3.al Elizabeth Upton, (17??- Unk)
> -birth order unknown
> -"Betsy" married Samuel Wilkins on 04/17/1808 in Georgia.
> -No further record.
>
> (born St. Paul's Parish, Georgia)
>
> #3.am Tobias Upton, (1775-1850/60)
> -married Sarah _______
> -probably went to SC with his mother and/or brothers in the 1790's.
> Tobias appears to have remained in South Carolina after his
brothers left for Tennessee.

This thread: