URBAN-L Archives

Archiver > URBAN > 2000-08 > 0965401300

From: ORBAN Andre <>
Subject: RE: [URBAN] hello
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 17:01:40 +0200

The name Urban is in no way Italian. The Latin Urbanus (city dweller) would
have become Urbani in Italian (which is indeed a rare Italian name). The
Italian Urbans that you have met might be from the Northern part of the
country (Trentino and Alto Adigio, called Süd-Tyrol in German), where German
is the usual language.

When your grandfather said something like pod sem, it sounds more to me like
a Slavic language ("pod" means "under" in Polish), but I can assure you that
it is not latin.

Andre Orban