USA-Naturalizations-L Archives

Archiver > USA-Naturalizations > 2003-08 > 1060417272

From: "evans-gunther" <>
Subject: [USA-Nat] GUNTHERs from Switzerland
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 17:24:02 +0900

Dear Listers,
I am searching for my family - GUNTHER or GUENTHER - which may have gone to
the USA via the UK. Certainly I have a record of a Fritz (possibly short
for Frederick/Fredrich) GUNTHER living somewhere near Rochester, New York
State. So far I have been unable to track him down. He could have been the
son of Charles (Carl) GUNTHER, the head of the family. I have no more names
for certain, except my great grandfather Charles (Carl) GUNTHER, son of the
above Charles GUNTHER.

He said he was from Switzerland and had come to the UK in the mid 1840s. He
is believed to have run away from home at about 15 years of age, c. 1850.
It is possible he came to the UK with his family but they moved on. So it
could be that a Swiss GUNTHER family entered the US sometime after 1850. My
great grandfather may have kept in contact with the family, thus Fritz
GUNTHER's address was found in my great aunt's house. It was unreadable,
except for "via Rochester, New York State, USA".

I would be interested to hear of any Charles (Carl) GUNTHERs or Fritz
GUNTHERs in the USA in the second half of the 19th century.

TIA and best wishes,
Charles W. Evans-Gunther

This thread: