USGENWEB-ALL-L Archives

Archiver > USGENWEB-ALL > 2008-10 > 1224817355

From: "Mike St. Clair/ST" <>
Subject: [ABChat] Official Report of the Webmaster Study Group
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 21:02:35 -0600

Three weeks ago, on Thursday, October 2nd, the Advisory Board created
the Webmaster Study Group, charged to draft a document covering the
duties and reporting relationships of the National Webmaster. We were
instructed to complete our work and report back in three weeks. This
message will serve as our official report back the the Advisory Board on
the work of our group. Following shortly is the draft we prepared,
submitted for consideration and action by the full Advisory Board and
the posting of this document completes the assignment given to this
group. It is perhaps not all it could be if more time was available,
but I believe it's a good starting point the next step. I greatly
appreciate the time spent by the members of the group to help produce
this draft. I realize it was a very busy time for all, and thank them
for their willingness to devote time to this issue. I especially
appreciate the extra work that Sherri did in helping us put our thoughts
and comments into a coherent document, and in revising the drafts during
our discussions. I'd also like to express my appreciation for the time
several members took to offer their ideas for improvement. As with any
document of this sort, it's a compromise and not every group member may
be lined up behind every little phrase, but I think we have strong
majority support for what has gone into it. Perhaps the full board will
have some ideas to improve it further.

I suggest that we start the discussion on ABChat, moving to Board when
it appears we have a document that the majority can agree on bringing to
vote. I am anxious to keep this process moving and hope you will focus
in on any specific changes you feel are either necessary or will make
the document substantially more useful. It would be great for us to
take care of any changes and get to an implementation vote in a very
short while.

DRAFT PROPOSAL - NATIONAL WEBSITE MAINTENANCE & WEBMASTER QUALIFICATIONS
& DUTIES

Section 1: The USGenWeb Advisory Board (AB) will appoint the webmaster
and an assistant webmaster from the Project membership to maintain the
USGenWeb National website. The webmaster and assistant serve as trusted
technical assistants to the Advisory Board. In addition, one AB member
will be appointed to work with and act as a liaison between the AB and
the webmaster and assistant, to ensure the National site is in
compliance with the Project by-laws and that the duties outlined in this
document are fulfilled. The National Coordinator (NC) will also work
with the webmaster and assistant to ensure that their responsibility for
day to day operational management of the project site is fulfilled.

Section 2: Selection of the Webmaster - The USGenWeb Advisory Board (AB)
will, at the beginning of each term, issue a call for interested
individuals to serve as the webmaster of the National site. From this
same call an assistant webmaster will also be selected. The AB shall
determine if those currently in place shall continue, or if one or more
of the new respondees shall be selected.
The qualifications for both positions are:
(a) The individual must have been a member in good standing of the
USGenWeb Project for a minimum of 6 months.
(b) The individual must have a strong demonstrated knowledge of
HTML, CSS (cascading style sheets), SSI (server side includes), and FTP
software.
(c) The individual must be able to devote a total of at least 24
hours per month to their duties as webmaster, spread out across the month.
(d) The individual must respond to requests for updates in a timely
manner. This is defined by responding to the request within 48 hours and
completing the requested update within one week. These time limits do
not apply if the webmaster and/or assistant have notified the board they
will be unavailable for a period of time or if there are extenuating
circumstances such as a natural disaster in the area where the webmaster
and/or assistant reside. The second limit does not apply if the scope of
the change is large and if the webmaster or assistant have notified the
board that it will take longer. If the webmaster or assistant have
notified the board it will take longer than the stated week, they must
provide an expected completion date for the change.
(e) Additional knowledge and/or skills such as php, databases and
search engine optimization may be desirable but are not required.

Section 3: Duties & Responsibilities of the Webmaster and Assistant
Webmaster:

(a) Makes website changes requested by the advisory board or the
National Coordinator. Changes may include, but are not limited to
adding additional or updated links, updating the identity of committee
members and/or state SCs or ASCs and and formatting and posting of
committee minutes.
(b) Finding and correcting broken or erroneous links by running a
link checker monthly.
(c) Reviewing server logs for errors and taking any needed
corrective action.
(d) Keeping a log of all changes made to or other actions taken in
regards to the National site. This log must be available for review by
the AB members at all times.
(e) Watching, reporting on and taking steps to improve the
performance of the National site's performance.
(f) Receiving reports on website problems from site visitors,
pro-actively detecting problems that arise whenever practical and
reporting the problems to the web host provider, either directly or
through the designated process in place at the time, and work with their
support organization to correct the problems.
(g) Providing quarterly reports to the AB regarding the site and
actions taken and changes made by the webmaster and/or assistant.
(h) Notify the assistant/assistant webmaster, AB representative and
NC if they will be unavailable for periods of more than 48 hours so that
others can cover the duties and complete any necessary updates.

Section 4: Responsibility of the NC or Designated Individual with
Control Panel Access:

(a) Provide the codes/passwords to the webmaster, assistant
webmaster and the AB representative so the stated responsibilities can
be carried out.
(b) If the webmaster and assistant don't have direct access to site
error logs, do whatever is required to make them available to the
webmaster and assistant so that their duties can be carried out.
(c) If the webmaster and assistant don't have direct access to the
support organization of the webhosting service, serve as the interface
to report problems to the web hosting service and in working with their
support organization to correct them.

Section 5: General Requirements:

(a) The website must be designed such that it is portable between
web hosting services in the event that a move is necessary or desirable.
(b) The ability to hand code a site in HTML format is not
necessary. Pages may be created using website designing software, but
the software must
not be specific to the web host, causing the transfer of the site to be
impossible, nor should the software insert scripts that are not portable
between web design applications.
(c) The webmaster and/or assistant webmaster may be replaced for
failure to comply with Sections 2 and 3, above.
(d) The webmaster and assistant webmaster will only be granted ftp
access to those portions of the National site for which the Advisory
Board have assigned them responsibility.
(e)The financial information of the account holder must be protected
at all times.

This thread: