USGENWEB-ALL-L Archives

Archiver > USGENWEB-ALL > 2009-02 > 1235144177

From: "Sherri" <>
Subject: [ABChat] Guidelines Discussion Summary
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 10:36:17 -0500

This is a summary of the discussion on the Guidelines that has been
occurring on ABCHAT. I've included comments/requests that were received
that weren't specific to the discussion of the original 3 items, but were
received as general comments/requests about the overall site guidelines as
they presently exist. If I've missed anything, please let me know so it can
be added to this summary document and it will be readily available as the AB
continues discussion on this agenda item after the comment period on CHAT
expires.

~~Sherri

Item 1 of the discussion - Contact information inclusion of USGenWeb Project
members on their USGenWeb Project pages.

-- This idea has the unanimous support of those we've heard from. The
majority's opinion is that the coordinator's name and email address and/or
Email Registry ID or a link to a contact info page should be required on at
least the main/index page of the site.
-- Other comments have included that the coordinator's name and contact
info should be on ALL pages of the site.
-- It was pointed out that if the coordinator's contact info is not
available, site visitors have no way to submit items they have to be posted
on the site.
-- Additional suggestion that the State Coordinator's name and email
address also be on the main/index page of the site.

Item 2 - Discussion/clarification and reconciliation of confusion in wording
(pages, meaning sites) within the USGenWeb Project bylaw and guidelines.

-- Almost 100% of the opinions expressed are that the internet has
evolved since the Project bylaws and site guidelines were originally
written. The wording should be modified to indicate that the Project site
is a website and not a page/pages. Current sites vary from just a few pages
to sites with thousands of pages. Consistent wording would clarify things
for the current and future site coordinators.

Item 3 - Discussion of a requirement of an official USGenWeb Project logo on
USGenWeb Project pages. Opinion on this item is split more than on the
others.

-- There are those that believe the current statement that an official
USGenWeb Project logo must be "prominently displayed" on a site is
sufficient.
--There are those that believe the current statement should be revised
to state that the official USGenWeb Project logo must be visible when the
site is opened without scrolling either horizontally or vertically.
-- There are those that believe the current statement should be revised
to state that no other Project's logo should be displayed on the same page
with the USGenWeb logo.
-- There are those that believe the current statement should be revised
to state that the logo of other Projects may be displayed on the same page
as the USGenWeb Project's logo, but those logos should be no bigger than the
one for the USGenWeb Project.

Other suggestions/comments received:

-- The suggestion has been made that the official USGenWeb Project logo
should be hot linked to the USGenWeb Project at http://usgenweb.org and the
state's logo should be hot linked back to the state's project site.
-- The suggestion has been made that the Project logo should include the
"alt text" tag be incorporated in the coding so that when the site/page is
accessed via a screen reader, browser with images turned off and/or text
based browser that it would still be identified as a USGenWeb Project site.
-- The suggestion has been made that the State Coordinator's name and
email address also be on the main/index page of the site.
-- There has been discussion that a search engine on the site(s) is a
very important feature. Some researchers won't research a site that does
not include one.
-- The suggestion has been made that review of sites as they're
initially built and at least annually be required. The reviewer could be the
SC, ASC and/or other appointed individuals.
-- The suggestion has been made that we address sites that haven't been
updated for months or years at a time and coordinators that are allowed to
remain in the position.
-- The suggestion was made that we clearly separate required and
recommended features of a Project site.
-- The suggestion was made that the USGenWeb Project logo be requred on
any page that could reasonably be expected to be bookmarked.
-- The suggestion was made that the USGenWeb Project logo be hot linked
to the USGenWeb project' website at http://usgenweb.org and the XXGenWeb
state Project logo be hotlinked to the state project's website.
-- The suggestion was made that the wording in the guidelines requiring
a link to the "state's county selection list" be changed to simply requiring
a link back to the XXGenWeb State Project site.
-- The request was made that ample time be allowed for compliance with
any changes in the site requirements. Several months or up to a year were
two of the timeframes mentioned.
-- The request was also made that we ensure that the wording on any
changes (and/or to the entire document) be simple so that it's easy to
understand.
-- The request was made that we consider presenting the
guidelines/requirements in an easy-to-use format such as a checklist that a
CC could print off and keep handy to refer to as they're working on their
sites, especially if they're new to the Project.
-- The suggestion was made that the bylaws be revised to include an
option to make changes to the site guidelines/requirements at any time
during the year with member ratification of the changes. This ratification
would be indicated by at least 50% of the members voting to 'yes' to the
modification(s).

This thread: