VA-NORTHERN-NECK-L Archives

Archiver > VA-NORTHERN-NECK > 2010-06 > 1276280768

From: "Nancy R. Simpson, PhD" <>
Subject: Re: [VA-NORTHERN-NECK] John BUTLER--Tell us more, please
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 14:26:08 -0400

Yes, there are a real slew of John Butlers in the Culpeper County area alone
. After 2 years , I have sorted most of them out through Butler DNA, land
records and wills and estates. .

John Butler who married Elizabeth Beach is indeed proven descent from Joshua
and Grace through DNA Group B as well as documentation. He is not "my"
Butler, but I have some assorted land records, etc. on him which I will send
off list if you like. I also correspond with good researchers proven to the
family. This John had a son John Jr. on deed records in the 1790s.

The other Culpeper family from this family with DNA Group B is the family of
William and Mary of Battle Run who arrived in the mid 1780's. They may have
a son John , Known sons include Spencer Butler and Armistead Butler. Their
descendant believes they also connect to Joshua and Grace, and since he does
very good research, I have no reason not to believe him.

Other John Butlers in Culpeper include John Butler married to Susannah who
d. 1757, his son John Butler who was married to Mary Taylor who d. abt.
1825. No DNA for this family YET. Then there is my John Butler b. 1765 ,
DNA H, who married Elizabeth Griffin, dau. of Anthony Griffin. . I
believe my John is in this family because of about 20 pieces of
circumstantial documentation data linking him to this family, so I called
old John "my" John Butler . Two sons, William and Aaron are proven to this
family through land documentation but no DNA YET.

Two more John Butlers came into Culpeper and left fairly quickly, apparently
leaving no family behind. These are a John Butler m. to an Ann and a John
Butler m. to a Maryann. Some researcher say that a John Butler m. to Jane
Anderson was in this county, but I have found no evidence that he lived
there.

One family, the family of Walter Butler, DNA Group G may have had a son
John. However, I have only found sons Peter, James and Benjamin on record.

John Butler m. to Elizabeth Beach is well documented because of Alexander
Beach's prominence in Culpeper and nearby Counties. There does not appear
to be any other John of the time married to an Elizabeth.

Let me know if there is something more you need.

Nancy