VAAMELIA-L Archives

Archiver > VAAMELIA > 2007-02 > 1171317061

From: ,
Subject: [VAAMELIA] Hezekiah Brown-Died by 1765 in Amelia-Also a ColemanConnection
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 21:51:01 -0000

Surnames: Brown, Coleman, Irby, Boughan, Pettus
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.virginia.counties.amelia/1401/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hezekiah Brown (born circa 1720; died by 1765) moved from Essex Co., VA to Amelia Co., VA, apparently sometime around the mid-1750s. He was married to a Sally/Salley LNU, and they had a daughter back in Essex Co., VA named Jane Brown who married a Henry Boughan (I believe that Henry and Jane (Brown) Boughan moved from Essex Co., VA to Orange/Culpeper Co., VA).

In 1784, a later/younger Hezekiah Brown married a Tabitha Irby in "next-door" Dinwiddie Co., VA, and I strongly suspect that this younger Hezekiah Brown was a son - or possibly a grandson - of the older Hezekiah Brown and his wife Sally/Salley. It appears that the Irby Brown who married a Rebecca Bonner Eppes was a son of this younger Hezekiah Brown and his wife Tabitha Irby.

A proven male Brown descendant of the above-mentioned Irby Brown is a 24/25 DNA marker "match" to the family of a Francis Brown "I" who died in Essex Co., VA in 1691. It appears that yet another Francis Brown (born about 1700; his father is unproven, but it could have been a Thomas Brown who was an adult in Essex Co., VA by 1704) was the father of the older Hezekiah Brown, and it appears that the older Hezekiah Brown had brothers who were named Daniel, Francis, Linar/Linard (Leonard?) and Thomas Brown.

Does anyone have any information on this Hezekiah Brown family while they were in Amelia Co., VA? Did the older Hezekiah Brown leave a will in Amelia?

By the way, I believe that this Brown family out of Essex Co., VA was PROBABLY "connected" to the Daniel Coleman who was in Amelia. A grandson of the above-mentioned Francis Brown "I" named Daniel Brown (died about 1747) married an Elizabeth Coleman, and they left Essex and moved to Orange Co., VA (the part that was later Culpeper Co., VA). A later man named Cluverious Coleman was part of that overall Coleman family, and a Cluverious Coleman appeared in Lunenburg/Mecklenburg Co., VA and was associated with a Thomas Brown (1740s-1790s) there. Several clues suggest that this Thomas Brown (who married a Mary Pettus) was also part of the overall Francis Brown "I" family out of Essex Co., VA. I see that the "Pettus" surname, as well as the "Brown" surname, were "connected" to the family of Daniel Coleman of Amelia Co., VA. Comments? Thanks in advance for any help!

This thread: