VACAROLI-L Archives

Archiver > VACAROLI > 2002-04 > 1018456640

Subject: [VACAROLI] Re:Caroline Co./Peatross/names of slaves/etc.
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 12:37:20 EDT

I have some to add to the Peatross family of Caroline Co., VA
I am not related, just passing on the data.

Under Chancery Suits:

Matthew Peatross, father of John Peatross the intestate, on Jan 1768 mad a
will and left a slave, Rose Lilly, to his son and others to his widow. At the
widow's death, John Peatross purchased Jeffery Amos and Jane Amos on 14 Nov.
1782 from her estate. [no date]

"I, John Peatross, being fully persuaded that freedom is the natural right of
all mankind and that it is my duty to do to others as I would be done..."
free Harry Duke, Nicton Meadow and Rose Lilly whom I held as slaves between
21 and 45 years. Also Richard Meadow, Phoebe Meadow, Phoebe Meadow born July
1773, Rachel Meadow born July 1778 and Lucy Meadow born Aug. 1782. [14
Nov. 1782]

"I John Peatross being fully persuaded...free Jeffrey Amos and Jane Amos when
they come of ages 21 and 18 years." [10 Nov. 1785]

Petition of Sam and others who claim to be the descendants of Rose Lilly is
filed against Thomas Peatross, administrator of John Peatross, and John
Peatross, Rhoda Peatross, Elizabeth Peatross and William Winston, the only
child of _____Winston deceased daughter of John Peatross, as descendants of
John Peatross, decd. [no date]

John Peatross executed a deed dated 12 Sept. 1823 to secure certain property
to Mary Peatross, wife of John Peatross. [27 June 1835]

John Dejarnett died many years ago and left to his widow Fanny Dejarnett her
dower of land and slaves. Elliott Dejarnett was his administrator. The rest
of the slaves were divided between John Peatross in right of his wife Polly
Peatross, Richard Norment in right of his wife Frances Norment and John F.
Dejarnett. The widow is now dead and her slaves are to be distributed to the
three heirs viz Polly, Frances and John F. Dejarnett. [13 January
1823]

"In suit Sam and others against Peatross and others, the whole of the people
included in the petition were not found in Caroline. I think Rose and one
child, perhaps Eliza and Pendleton son of Janey were found in Powhatan.." no
date

Peatross, Matthew vs Benjamin Hurt
William Peatross states that he was present at the conversation of old Mr.
Matthew Peatross, father of the present Matthew Peatross, and old Mr.
Benjamin Hurt, Father to the present Benjamin Hurt, when Mr. Peatross told
old Mr. Hurt that he, Hurt, had been trespassing on the 3 acres of land for
the use of the mill and old Mr. Hurt agreed that he would move his fence as
soon as his crop was taken up.
[21 Feb 1807]

Richard Peatross and Thomas Peatross are questioned by Benjamin Hurt and
agree that Benjamin Hurt purchased the share of his brother, William Hurt, in
the land but they state that the land is not completely free until the death
of their mother, Ann Hurt.
[21 Feb. 1807]

Mrs. Ann Hurt and Mr. Benjamin Hurt are served notice that they are not to
build a mill on the three acres of land by Matthew Peatross.
[26 Aug. 1806]

COURT RECORDS BOX 1 ACC. # 26675
Matthew Peatross...11 Jan 1768/11 Sept 1805... Son William Peatross land
known as Horse Pasture purchased of Joseph Wyatt. Eight unmarried children
viz Matthew Peatross, John Peatross, Thomas Peatross, James Peatross, Richard
Peatross, Sarah Peatross, Mary Peatross, and Joannah Peatross. Son Thomas
Peatross to have lands purchased of Thomas Murray and James Murray. Son John
Peatross have lands purchased of Stephen Crutchfield. Son Thomas Peatross to
have lands purchased of Thomas Chandler plus the Braxton land adjoining. Wife
Amey Peatross land purchased of John Baynham. Children of deceased daughter,
Ann Thompson who was married to John Thompson, viz Matthew Thompson, John
Thompson, Amey Thompson and Susannah Thompson. Daughter Amey Gatewood.
Daughter Elizabeth (No last name given but a son in law Joseph Campbell is
named an executor). Exors: Wife and son in law Joseph Campbell. Wit: John
Baynham, John Baynham, Jr., and George Linch. Codicil dated 11 April
1768...witnessed by Anthony New, George Linch and Betty Bowler.

FOLDER # 7 WILLS 1808-1830
William Peatross....15 Feb. 1808/12 Dec. 1801...Wife Amy Peatross. Children
viz Richard Peatross, Matthew Peatross, William Peatross, Jane Peatross, Amy
Peatross, Polly Peatross, Barbara Peatross, Walter Peatross, Sally Peatross,
Samuel Peatross, Betsey Peatross, Susannah Peatross, Rebekah Peatross and
Jumima Peatross. Mention is made of "the children of my deceased daughter
Nancy Haden". Exors: Richard Peatross Sr., William S. Wyatt and Matthew
Hundley. Wit: Joseph W. New, Richard Hundley, Sarah C. Brame and Thomas
Hickman.

Ann Peatross....6 April 1815/May1815....Daughter Nancy Demure all the lands
from my father's estate devolving on me at the death of my mother and the
horse willed to me by my son, Henry Peatross, decd. John H. Demure is Nancy
Demure's husband. Exor: Nathaniel Ware.
Wit: W.P. Napier and John Peatross.

Folder 1 Ended Papers P.1807 [Court Papers]
Matthew Peatross is schoolmaster at Eagles' Nest for the year 1804 and
subscribers are Humphrey Sale, Robert Parker, William Bowler, Richard Sale,
Nancy Oliver and John Chandler. [1804]

Chancery Suits
Richard Bridges states that in Oct 1786, he talked with Samuel Norment about
the purchase of 50 acres of the land that Samuel Norment lived on. The land
is on the Mattopony River and adjoins Matthew Peatross. Samuel Norment died
about 1 Jan 1787 and by his will left everything in the hands of his wife
until his two children could come of age to marry. Richard Bridges now
petitions to have the deed voided. Lucy Norment, widow, and Joseph Norment
and Elizabeth Walden Eastin Norment, infant children, are defendants in this
suit. [20 July 1787]

Samuel Butler vs John Peatross' administrator, Thomas Peatross
Samuel Butler sues John Peatross over the purchase of a horse to pull the
wagon that Buter and Peatross jointly owned. The horse was bought from the
sale of Christopher Tompkins, decd. [16 Aug 1804]

John Peatross answers Samuel Butler that he bought the horse at the sale of
James Thompkin's estate and that on 6 July 1799, Samuel Butler settled with
him. This transaction was witnessed by Anne Peatross. [2 Oct. 1804]

John Peatross died intestate and Obediah Crew is his administrator.
[12 Aug 1805]

Matthew Peatross states that Samuel Butler in Dec. 1800 carried a load of
tobacco to Richmond from Lucy Johnston's for William Napier. [no date]

Anne Peatross, daughter of John Peatross, makes an affidavit.
[23 Nov. 1805]

Chancery Suits
Ann Peatross states that Matthew Peatross gave his bond to Richard Squire
Taylor and later sent payment to Richard Peatross to pay off the bond at
Hanover County Court but Richard Peatross gave the money to William Peatross
who did pay off the bond which Richard Squire Taylor could not find at that
time. Richard S. Taylor had died since this time without delivering the bond.
[8 Oct. 1800]

Division of the Negroes held by John Peatross agreeable to the will of his
father into five equal parts for Ann Peatross, John Peatross, Rhoda Peatross,
Eliza Peatross and William Winston, infant. [Mar. 1806]

John Peatross and Mary Peatross his wife and Francis A. Peatross, Mary
Peatross, John A. Peatross, Henry C. Peatross, Joanna Peatross, Matthew
Peatross and Joseph A. Peatross infant children of the said John and Mary
Peatross by the said John Peatross their father and next friend against
Richard Norment and Thomas Samuel. The suit concerns the estate held in trust
by Richard Norment since 12 Sept. 1823 for John Peatross and family. [14 May
1834]

Thomas Peatross states that he was security on a bond for James Baber as he
administered the estate of Francis Baber. In 1801, James Baber and Menos
(alias Parmenos) Rogers of Albemarle Co. attempted to cheat the creditors of
Francis Baber's estate. James Baber has since died. [1 Oct 1821]

I can see why there is confusion, a lot of name repeating.
Mary Peatross wife of John Peatross was a HURT.
Benjamin Hurt...19 Jan 1781/8 Feb 1781...Son William Hurt, Daughter Ann
Peatross. Son Benjamin Hurt. Wife Ann Hurt. Names all his children as William
Hurt, Benjamin Hurt, Ann Peatross, John Hurt, Rebecca Hurt, Festus Hurt,
Molly Hurt, Francis Hurt, and James Hurt. Exors: Sons William and Benjamin
Hurt and Matthew Peatross.

Deed of Trust of John Peatross for the benefit of his wife Mary Peatross and
Frances Peatross, Ann Peatross, Mary Peatross and Absalom Peatross children
of the said John Peatross and Mary Peatross, He sells, the land left by his
father, Matthew Peatross and the other purchased from John Sutton to Richard
Norment.
[12 Sept 1823]

June

This thread: