VACULPEP-L Archives

Archiver > VACULPEP > 2009-02 > 1235867283

From: Craig Kilby <>
Subject: [VACULPEP] Blackwell Family
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:28:03 -0500

In the early 1900s, Stella Pickett Hardy did a lot of work on the
Blackwell family of Northumberland County, Virginia, where most of
them originate. This was published in the Virginia Magazine of
History & Biography in a series. These were consolidated in
"Genealogies of VIrginia Families" Vol. 1 (Baltimore: Genealogical
Publishing Company, Inc., 1981). These books are available at most
regional libraries that have a history and genealogy section.

There is a later correction to her article, but the only place I
recall seeing it was at the Tennessee State Archives in Memphis.

Hardy's work was good for its time, but subsequent research by others
(on other articles) shows that many of her statements are in error.

So, perhaps you might pick up a thread on your Benjamin Blackwell
from one of these sources. Best of luck to you.

Craig Kilby