VACUMBER-L Archives

Archiver > VACUMBER > 2012-03 > 1332173750

From: ,
Subject: Re: [VACUMBER] DOWDY, DUNNAVANT
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:15:50 -0000

Author: reddstaples
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.virginia.counties.cumberland/1561.1.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

I just ran across your site and have info you may find helpful. Robert Sidney Dowdy is my great great grandfather. He is buried with his wife, Virginia Ellen Nunnally, under a shared tombstone in a small family graveyard back behind a house called Rose Cottage off Rt. 600, Stoney Point Rd., south of Cumberland Courthouse on Rt.60 in Cumberland Co., Va. You have to go up a long driveway to the rear of the property. You'll see a mobile home to your left and the graveyard to the right. The other graves are John Flippen and Robert Alice Dowdy-- Robert Sidney named his daughter Robert-- they are my great grand parents. John's parents mysteriously died around 1870 leaving John Flippen orphaned with his siblings. He was taken in by Poindexter Dowdy who lists John as a servant in 1880 census. I'm interested in how Poindexter is related to Robert Sidney Dowdy and if John Flippen is mentioned in his will. I'm also curious in the location of Poindexter's land-- I've heard that!
Rose Cottage is on what was

Dowdy land. Please let me know what info you have or any questions. I hope this helps.

Waller Redd Staples IV Richmond, Va.

Important Note: