VAFAIRFA-L Archives

Archiver > VAFAIRFA > 2013-10 > 1382537975

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [VAFAIRFA] Cleveland family
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 14:19:35 -0000

Author: pduncan8151
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.virginia.counties.fairfax/1356.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

>From "Index to the 1782-1850 Fairfax County Personal Property Tax Lists" by Pat Duncan. Note that only males 16 years or older were tithable. The first, or only, person listed would be the head of the household and responsible for paying the tax.

1835 Second Section Robert Ratcliffe, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb
1836 Second Section Robert Ratcliffe, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb
1837 First Section A. J. Sangster, Commissioner Cleaveland, Caleb
1838 Second Section Cleveland, Caleb
1839 Second Section Robert Ratcliffe, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb
1840B Fairfax Parish Francis F. Ratcliffe, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb
1842B Jas. M. Halley, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb
1843B Robert Ratcliffe, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb (overcharged 1842)
1844B Robert Ratcliffe, Commissioner Cleveland, Caleb
1845B Cleveland, Caleb
1846B Cleveland, Caleb
1847B Cleveland, Caleb
1849B Cleveland, Caleb & son
1850B Cleveland, Caleb & son

1798C James Coleman Jr., Commissioner in that part taken from Loudoun County Cleveland, Elijah
1799A - Truro District Thomas Pollard Jr., Commissioner Cleveland, Elijah
1800A Thomas Pollard, Commissioner Cleveland, Elijah
1801A Robert Moss, Commissioner Cleaveland, Elijah
1802A Robert Moss, Commissioner Cleveland, Elijah

1846B Cleveland, William
1849B Cleveland, William
1850B Cleveland, William

>From "District of Columbia Marriage Licenses Register 1: 1811-1858" by Wesley E. Pippenger:
Caleb Cleveland and Minty Ellis m. 1 Jan 1829
John Cleveland and Nancy Walker m. 2 Apr 1839

>From the Fairfax Co Marriage Register:
date of marriage 17 Dec 1857
groom: John F. Mortemore, 27y, single, farmer, b. and resides Fairfax, s/o Simon & Mary Mortemore
bride: Hannah L. Cleveland, 21y, single, b. and resides Fairfax, d/o Caleb & Aramenta Cleveland
performed by L. F. Morgan

28 Sep 1882 The National Republican newspaper: The funeral of Mr. Caleb Cleveland, of Bayley's Cross-Roads, took place yesterday afternoon, and was attended by many of his friends and neighbors.

I assume you have seen the Fairfax County Chancery Suit for the division of Caleb's land as he left no will.

Pat Duncan

Important Note: