VAFLOYD-L Archives

Archiver > VAFLOYD > 2005-04 > 1112655386

From: "Irene Underwood" <>
Subject: RE: [VAFLOYD] Samuel Wilson
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 17:56:26 -0500

There's also this from the Peterman Book by Marguerite Tise:
The Burke Family

James Burke was a pioneer settler in Southwest Virginia for whom
Burkes Garden in Tazewell County was named and also, it is said, Burks Fork
in Floyd County.

James Burke, born in Ireland, came to America and settled in Goshen,
Chester County, Pennsylvania. He was a member of the Society of Friends.
ON July 11, 1730, at the Goshen Monthly Meeting of Quakers in Chester
County, James Burke and Mary Bane were married. Mary Bane, also a member of
the Society of Friends, was a daughter of Mordecai Bane and his first wife
Naomi Medley. Mordecai Bane and Naomi Medley were married at St. Paul's
Church in Chester County, PA, on Dec. 20, 1705. Naomi Medley Bane died,
date unknown, and Mordecai Bane married Mary Teague on June 8, 1731, at
Christ Church Philadelphia. Mordecai Bane died in 1747 and left a will in
which he named his six sons and six daughters: Mordecai, Nathan, James,
Joseph, Samuel, Isaac, and Sarah, Hannah, Rachel, Barbara, Jane, and Mary.

James and Mary Bane Burke left Pennsylvania and settled in North
Carolina near the Yadkin River. They moved again about 1740 to Virginia on
Goose Creek (Roanoke River) where the present town of Salem is located.
James Burke is mentioned for the first time in Virginia records in 1742 as a
member of George Robinson's Company of Militia. Mary Bane Burke died in
1750 and James Burke married Lucretia Rees Griffith, widow of Methusalem
Griffith. Lyky Rees and Methusalem Griffith were married in Christ Church,
Philadelphia, and very likely the Burkes, Banes and Griffiths knew each
other in Pennsylvania.

James Burke accompanied James Patton and Dr. Thomas Walker when they
made several surveys west of the Alleghany Mountains on the waters of New
River and Holston River. He owned a large tract of land in present Tazewell
County where he was attacked by Indians and barely escaped with his life.
This tract later became known as Burkes Garden.

James and Lucretia Burke moved to North Carolina in Surrey County
where he died in 1783 and where his will was recorded. His children by his
firs wife, Mary Bane Burke were: Mary Burke, m. __________ Murphy; Sarah
Burke, m. Samuel Wilson, B. 1733; James Burke, Jr.; Joseph Burke, m.
Margaret Grant; _______ Burke, m. William Brookshire; Naomi Burke
(1746-1805) m. March 13, 1764, Samuel Pepper (1735-1805). Naomi, four years
old when her mother died, was raised by her sister, Sarah Burke Wilson.

In his book, Virginia Frontier, F. B. Kegley states that James
Burke's daughter, Rebecca married Samuel Wilson of South Fork. This
apparently is a mistake as James Burke in his will names his daughter Sarah
Wilson. Sarah and Samuel Wilson lived in Bedford County. They had two
(known) children: Mary (Polly) Wilson who married Capt. John Lucas; and
Theodocia Wilson who married Captain Benjamin Johnston.

Excerpted from "The
Peterman
Family," by
Marguerite Tise (1988)