VAFRANKL-L Archives

Archiver > VAFRANKL > 2004-05 > 1084206023

Subject: Re: [VAFRANKL] Beheler
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 12:20:23 EDT

As promised here is what I have on David Beheler Sr. and the documentation of
some of it. David Beheler appears on the tax lists for Henry County, VA in
1779, 1780, and 1782. From "Franklin County (VA) History, p. 202 "Samuel King
was another early Franklin County schoolteacher. In 1790 he charged David
Beheler 3 pounds for teaching 3 children 10 months each. King was not paid and
took Beheler to court. Apparently they quickly reached an agreement because
the case was dismissed."
Franklin County Deeds Book 1 p. 107; 4 September 1786 "David Beckler of
Franklin County conveys to Enoch Hodges, farmer, of same, for 100 pounds, 100 acres
on the branches of Chestnut and Pigg River, bounded by Becklers old line,
William Thompson, the road, Becklers old line". Elizabeth, the wife, relinquished
her right of dower. Recorded 2 October, 1786. The same land transfer found
listed in Franklin County Court Order Book 1 pg. 58 dated 2 October. 1786: A
deed, David Beheler to Enobh Hodges, acknowledged, and Eliza the wife being
privily examined relinquished her right of dower, and ordered recorded.
David Beheler is in Franklin Co., VA Deed Book 2 page 441, 8 October, 1792.
Probate papers of David Sr.
Some sources include Isaac b. between 1765 and 1784 as a son of David. No
proof of this.
In the tax lists for Franklin Co. VA if 1788 David Beheler appears with 2
houses listed and 2 white persons (presumed residing therein).
In the Tax lists for Franklin Co. VA of 1799 David Beheler appears with 2
houses listed and 2 white persons (presumed residing therein).

David Beheler was born Bet. 1735-1745 and died Bef. September 13, 1806 in
Franklin Co. VA. He married Elizabeth Armstead(Armistead) (No proofof this)
She was born abt. 1750 and died Bef. September 13, 1806 in Franklin Co. VA. She
was also known as Eliza.

David and Eliza had 8 children, John, Mary, Elizabeth, George, Catherine,
Jacob, David Jr., and Nancy. As mentioned previously there is an Isaac mentioned
but no proof of this yet.

My line runs from David Sr. to George Armistead to Armistead to William
Armistead to William Ernest to me. It looks as we have a common ggggfather.

I do not have much on Elizabeth and Amariah Phares other than he was a school
teacher and that they had at least one child, a daughter Nancy who married
John Epperly of Montgomery Co. VA.

I have long been looking for some information on David and where he came from
but no success thus far. Some family information about one of my gfathers
says that he was known as the "old dutchman". Whether this refers to Dutch
ancestry or Deutch ancestry is unclear. Either or even both of these is
possible. No ships records that I have examined have produced anything even with the
aberrant spelling of the last name, which I'm sure you have run across. Lots
of theories about where he may have migrated from but nothing that puts the
question to rest. One day I hope to be able to visit Franklin and Henry
Counties to do a little hands on research but who knows when that will be. Meanwhile
if I can be of any further assistance please contact me.

This thread: