VAGOOCHL-L Archives

Archiver > VAGOOCHL > 2001-02 > 0983190837

Subject: [GOOCHLAND] TAYLORS -- 1700s Goochland,Cumberland, Powhatan Co VA
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 07:33:57 EST

Fellow Virginia Taylor Researchers:

I am trying to find the ancestors (and likely relationship between) of THREE
Taylor families in Powhatan/Cumberland/Goochland/Henrico Cos VA. Advice on
any of these is much appreciated.

FIRST LINE -- Priority, my children's direct paternal line. I'm interested
in any clues to this Thomas' Taylor family.

SARAH RACHEL TAYLOR, b. about 1708, Henrico Co VA,and died after 1762 in
Buckingham Co VA. She was married first to Robert Ligon MOSELY, and second
to Jean Pierre (John Peter) BONDURANT. My children descend from the second
marriage through son Richard Bondurant, b. 1740 Manakintown, Goochland, who
married Cecelia HALL.

Sarah Rachel Taylor is said to be the daughter of:
THOMAS TAYLOR, b. abt 1680 in Henrico Co, married Mary.

SECOND LINE (married into my Baugh family in Powhatan Co):

JANE D. TAYLOR was born Abt. 1806, Powhatan Co., VA; married. JOHN N. BAUGH,
October 03, 1826, Powhatan Co., VA (Source: Marriage Bond, 100, John N.
Baugh and Jane D. Taylor, dau. of Ferguson Taylor who consents. Edward F.
Baugh guardian of John is surety. WIt. Benjamin B. Taylor and John D.
Taylor. Married 5 Oct by Rev. John Wooldridge.); b. Abt. 1806, Powhatan
Co., VA. John N. Baugh is the son of John Baugh d. 1817 Powhatan Co vA, who
was the son of John Baugh d. 1804-1805 Powhatan Co VA, who is the son of John
Baugh, d. 1761, intestate Chesterfield Co VA.

Jane D. Taylor was the daughter of:
FERGUSON TAYLOR was born abt 1763 in Powhatan Co., VA, and died May 24, 1831
in Powhatan Co., VA. He married SALLY ? Abt. 1788 in Powhatan Co., VA. Will
of Ferguson Taylor appended at end of post (FYI).

Ferguson Taylor was the son of:
JAMES TAYLOR and Elizabeth HUGHES, according to information provided me by
Cecil Robert Taylor.

THIRD LINE (in Lawrence Co MO, descendants of first couple marry into
descendants of brother of John Baugh, d. 1817 --Archibald Bolling BAUGH, my
ancestor):
DESDEMONA TAYLOR was born 19 Apr 1788, Henry Co. Virginia, married Thomas
TURLEY, 29 June 1811, Grainger Co TN. She died 17 Dec, 1877, Grainger Co TN

She is said to be the daughter of:
DANIEL TAYLOR was born 3 Aug 1761 (Powhatan Co.) then Cumberland Co.
Virginia. He married Jane ROWLAND about 1780 in Henry Co VA. He died
November 25, 1835, Marshall's Ferry, Grainger Co TN.

He is said to be the son of:
JAMES TAYLOR who was born 28 Feb 1731 (Cumberland Co.) then Goochland Co.
Virginia. On December 3, 1755, he married Nancy Anne OWEN, He died April 4,
1815 in Grainger Co TN.

He is said to be the son of:
WILLIAM TAYLOR, who was born probably before 1715 and married Mary before
probably before 1731. That is all the information that I have for him.

Any thoughts that you have on these folks are much appreciated. I can
provide information on descendants of all of the above.

Thanks in advance,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter -- Will of Ferguson Taylor follows:

Powhatan Co., VA
17 March 1831-20 July 1831

I Ferguson Taylor of Powhatan county Virginia do hereby make my last Will
and Testament in manner and form following that is to say:
1st: I desire that after my decease, some property be immediately sold, and
all my just debts be paid.
2nd.: I lend to my wife Sally Taylor (after paying my just debts) during
her natural life, all my estate both personal and real, and after her death
I give it to my children and Grandchildren hereinafter mentioned. And I
desire that my wife Sally Taylor shall give my Grandson George Alfred Ballow
a plain education to be paid out of my estate.
3rd: I give to my Grandson George Alfred Ballow one third part of my land
and a Negro boy named Andrew to him and his heirs to have and to hold
forever.
4th: I give to my daughter Jane D. Baugh one third part of my land to her
and her heirs to have and to hold forever.
5th: I give to my son Samuel T. Taylor the other third part of my land to
him and his heirs to have and to hold forever.
6th: I desire that the balance of my personal estate shall be sold and
divided among my children hereafter named as follows:
1st: I give to my son William B. Taylor one dollar.
2nd: I give to my son John D. Taylor one dollar
3rd: I give to my daughter Elizabeth H. Ballow dec'd one dollar.
4th: The balance of the money arising from the sale of my personal estate,
I desire shall be equally divided among my four children, Jane D. Baugh,
Susan D. Tucker, Benjamin B. Taylor and Nancy D. Williams.
Lastly: I do hereby constitute and appoint my friends Edward F. Baugh and
John N Baugh Executors of this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking
all other Wills or Testaments heretofore made by me. In Witness whereof I
have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 17th day of March 1831.
/s/ Ferguson Taylor, his seal
Signed Sealed published and
Declared as the last will and
Testament of the above named Ferguson Taylor. In presence of us
Francis C. Lowry
Edward F. Baugh
John N. Baugh

At a Court of Quarterly Session held for Powhatan County at the Courthouse
thereof on Wednesday the 20th day of July 1831 - The foregoing last Will
and Testament of Ferguson Taylor deceased was presented in Court and proved
by the Oath of Edward F. Baugh and the affirmation of Francis C. Lowry two
of the subscribing Witnesses to the same and Ordered to be recorded. And
Edward F. Baugh and John N. Baugh the Executors named in the said Will in
Open Court relinquished their right to qualify as such which is ordered to
be entered of record. /s/ Teste, R.S. Graves, D.C.

Note on the witnesses: Edward F. Baugh is Edward Fleming Baugh, and his
relationship to the John Baugh family is not clear, except that he was
clearly a "beloved friend". Francis LOWRY, married Anne Goode, daughter of
Bennett GOODE and Rebecca BAUGH, she was a sister of John Baugh d. 1817, and
my Archibald Bolling Baugh.

This thread: