VAHALIFA-L Archives

Archiver > VAHALIFA > 1999-11 > 0941471033

From: chapman, peggy< >
Subject: Alexander Gordon m Mary Lax
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 09:43:53 -0600

I found no Alexander Gordon marriage.
There must have been 2 Alexander Gordons or maybe you knew this.

Found a mention of Alexander in Deed Book 16 1793-1796
p. 370. 11 Mar 1795. John Smallman Sr & Martha his wife to William
Keene, 40pds about 80a on waters of Dificult Cr being the land whereon
the sd John Smallman now lives, bound by the lands of Edwd Wastham,John
Smallman, Jr., Jerin. Keene & Alexander Gordan dec'd.
Wit: Thos Roberts,Edwd Estham,Wm Roberts. martha Smallman relinq. her
right of dower. r 27 Apr 1795.
(HALIFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA DEED BOOK 16 1793-1796,
TLC Gen., 1997)

Several mentions of Alexander Gordon & Archibald Gordon in VESTRY BOOK
OF ANTRIM PARISH HALIFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA 1752-1817
Marian Dodson Chiarito, Clarkton Press, 1983.

There are too many references to mention here but one of note
(p. 42 of this book)

p. 67 of Vestry book ..
present the Revd. Alexander Gordon
May 1758.

Chiarito, (1986, Clarkton Press)
HALIFAX COUNTY, VIRGINIA DEED BOOKS 2-3-4-5-6
1759-1767
Deed Book 5, p. 190
14 May 1764. Samuel Gordon of town of Blandford, Prince George Co.,
Merchant, appoints Archibald Gordon of Halifax Co., Gent., his attorney
to sell in his name all lands sold to him by John Hicke of Halifax Co.
15 Sep 1757.
S/ Samuel Gordon.
Wit: Alexr. Gordon,Jno Wimbush,Hugh Clar. r 16 Aug 1764

peggy

Re: Books