VAHALIFA-L Archives

Archiver > VAHALIFA > 2002-02 > 1013191267

From: Betty Faye Lawton <>
Subject: William HOLT,Greene co, GA ca.1820
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:01:07 -0500

Dear Listers,

I searched the book, "The Descendants of Michael HOLT" compld by Maudie
HOLT Harris ..checked all the William's and ancestors but no luck. These
HOLTs went on to MO and points north of GA, as far as I can ascertain...

So, I have to think that Michael is NOT the line I'm looking for...are
there similiarly compiled books of HOLTs that came through VA?
I'm now waiting on FHC microfilm of "HOLT Orchard".which I understand from
folks has info on the Southern migration of HOLTs.(VA/NC/SC/GA/AL/TX)

But feel sure there are other books with leads on my William m. Jane TURNER
dau. of Wingate/Wingait M. TURNER in GA/SC/? ca. 1820.
Supposedly William's parents were James HOLT and Jane STAN*FIELD of
Halifax co, VA. (NO PROOF! Repeat, I can't find any SOURCES..or even clues
that they were William's parents!)

Other than the above two books, does anyone know of books on OTHER
VA/NC/SC/GA HOLT lines?

BTW speaking of books, I was reading the "Georgia Genealogical Society
Quarterly", Vol.37, No. 4, p.223.
The article was on the genealogical holdings of the Smyrna Public Library,
100 Village Green Circle,Smyrna, GA 30080-2478; Phone: (770) 431-2860;
contact person:Rita Davis, Admin. Library Asstnt.
Smyrna is located NW of Atlanta in Cobb county, off I-75.

Amoung the books the article (contributed by Ann L. Sherman and Jane L.
Splawn) mentioned, ". . .The only complete set of books, outside the state
of Virginia, by Ruth and Sam Sparacio on records of various Virginia
counties is of special interest. This huge collection, with books
color-coded by county, is a Virginia researcher's delight."

I don't know if the Smyrna Library does inter-lib. loans, but thought I'd
mention this.

Anyone researching VA counties and living in the area or traveling to
Atlanta, Smyrna would be a short day trip. Sometimes the books or info we
need aren't necessarily in the logical geographic area we would expect
them!
I would appreciate such info on other HOLT line locations as well.

Thank you for any information/leads/clues.

Betty Faye (Double first name..ole Su'th'n custom)
Searching for paternal:HOLT, LINDSEY, CARSWELL, TURNER;
maternal:CLOUD,CHILDRESS, WHEELER, HARMON.
Also: PLUMMER

website: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=fuzdawg

This thread: