VAHALIFA-L Archives

Archiver > VAHALIFA > 2002-11 > 1037823214

From: Sandy McDougall <>
Subject: [VAHALIFA] INDIAN HILL CEMETERYPOWELL FAMILY
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:13:34 -0900

I am sorry if I somehow misled in my posting. The Reverend was NOT a
POWELL. His name was Leonard BAKER. He was only the person who married the
folks in Halifax Co., whom I am interested in locating. I had found that
this particular Rev. BAKER had died in 1818 and was buried in the Indian
Hill Cemetery in Halifax Co.

Here are my particulars regarding all I know about my POWELL family:

All I have is a marriage date: William POWELL married Nancy NELSON 26 Dec
1798 in Halifax Co., VA. I did find another listing for a Charles POWELL
who married Sally NELSON 24 Apr 1794. Both were married by the same
Reverend, a Rev Leonard BAKER. I found someone who showed this Reverend
Leonard BAKER died in 1818 and was buried in "Indian Hill" Cemetery in
Halifax Co. I thought if perhaps I could find out just where this cemetery
is located I would better know the area I needed to be searching.

William and Nancy (NELSON) POWELL had one son I know of..Edward POWELL
born abt. 1804 (according to the 1850 Van Buren Co. Iowa Federal Census).

I have found a will for William in Van Buren Co. Iowa where he died in
1847. Edward was named as Executor of the Estate. No other names beside
that of "my beloved wife, Nancy" were mentioned. However in the Probate
Records of the Estate Settlement are mentioned notes owing from "Daniel
POWELL, William POWELL and Isaac BABB". No other information.

Edward POWELL married Sarah ______. I believe their first child Martha
Jane POWELL was born in Virginia. That too is according to the Census.

So, all I can tell you is I am looking for William POWELL who married
Nancy NELSON 25 Dec 1798 by Rev. Leonard BAKER and the surety was given by
John HODGES. And the other marriage may be related...Charles POWELL m.
Sally NELSON 24 Apr 1794 by Rev. Leonard BAKER surety given by John NELSON.
All in Halifax Co. VA.

Thanks again and Best Wishes, Sandy

This thread: