VAHALIFA-L Archives

Archiver > VAHALIFA > 2010-05 > 1275000639

Subject: [VAHALIFA] Phelps, Byrne, Petty, Johnson, Walne, McCraw, Carr,Royster,
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 18:50:39 -0400

I am a PHELPS researcher looking for researchers of families in the
following 1793 Will. - Mary

1793 - Halifax Co., VA, Will Book 3, Wills 1792-1797, p.92.

I, John PHELPS, of Antrim Parish of Halifax, being weak of body but of
perfect sense.....
To my son, William PHELPS - the land and plantation whereon I now live,
and 1 Negro girl named Hanner, and 1 cow and calf and sow and pigs.
William is to pay all my just debts and is to pay the rest of my
children as follows: John PHELPS - 15 pounds, Sally CARR - 10 pounds,
Jane BYRNE - 10 pounds, Betsey ROYSTER - 15 pounds, Milley PETTEY - 10
pounds, Fanney JOHNSON - 10 pounds, Polley WALNE - 15 pounds. For
distributing the money and paying my debts, William is to have 6 Negros
and household furniture and stock.
To my son, John PHELPS - the land and plantation whereon he now lives,
and 1 Negro boy named Stephen. If John does not get a deed to the land
that was James McCRAW's, he is to have 40 pounds out of the balance of
my estate. If he gets a deed to the above land, he is to have 10
pounds.
To my daughter, Salley CARR - 200 acres of the land and plantation
whereon she now lives, and 1 Negro girl named Mary.
To my daughter Jane BYRNE - the land and plantation whereon she now
lives, and 1 Negro man named Moses, and 1 Negro girl named Winney, for
service done in working for me.
To my daughter, Betsey ROYSTER - the land and plantation where she now
lives, and 1 Negro girl named Sis.
To my daughter, Milley PETTEY - 200 acres of the land and plantation
whereon she now lives, and 1 Negro woman named Ester and child named
Richmond.
To my daughter, Fanney JOHNSON - 114 acres of land whereon she now
lives, 1 Negro womaen named Rachel, and 1 Negro girl named Cila, during
her natural life, and then to be divided among her children.
To my daughter, Polley WALNE - 1 Negro boy named Reuben and 1 Negro
girl named Darkus, during her natural life, and then to be divided
among her children.
To my granddaughter, Johannis PHELPS - 1 Negro girl named Christain.
To my wife, Drusilla - the remainder of my estate during her life. The
remainder consists of 6 Negros and my household furniture and stock.

Executor: son, William PHELPS.
Signed 4 Sept 1793 - John PHELPS.
Wit. - Finne DIXON, John BARLEY, Ambrose Heart, Judith BARNES.

Probate: At Halifax Court of 27 Jan 1794, the Will of John PHELPS,
desceased,
was exhibited in court by William PHELPS, proven and or. William
PHELPS was granted a certificate for obtaining probate; securities
were Henry BASS, Hawkins LANDRUM, abs James McCRAW.

Page 234.
We, George NEWBELL, Henry BARNES, & Thomas PRIDDY, have viewed the
slaves and personal estate of John PHELPS dec?d, as exhibited to us
[by] William PHELPS, executor. Items mentioned include: Negro men
named George, Ben, 1 Negro woman & child named Lucy & Christian, 1
Negro woman & child named Vilet & Winney; Negro girls named Sela,
Hanner, Easter, Mary; Negro boys named Lewis, Ned, 2 beds & furniture
& steads & cords, 1 desk, 1 pair of money scales, 1 pair of spectacles,
1 brass c[l]ock. Recorded Jun 27, 1796.

**NOTE: (mdg) Richard WALNE married to Patty PHELPS - 20 Aug. 1785.
PHELPS, John married to WALTHALL, Lucy m. Dec 17, 1789
PHELPS, William married to McCRAW, Elizabeth m. Nov 8, 1790 all in
Halifax Co., VA. ***

This thread: