VALOUDOU-L Archives

Archiver > VALOUDOU > 2010-03 > 1268963246

From: "Pat Duncan" <>
Subject: Re: [VALOUDOU] Missing Marriages pre-1793
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:47:29 -0600

Marty Hiatt's posting of 17 March (see below) concerning missing marriages
prompted me to look further. Using only the first section of "Marriages of
Loudoun County, Va 1757-1853" by Wertz, I counted the number of marriages
listed for each year (give or take possible errors on my part and some
double year dates such as 1807-08.)

1758 - 2
1759 - 1
1760 - 3
1761 - 3
1762 - 5
1763 - 0
1764 - 7
1765 - 8
1766 - 3
1767 - 3
1768 - 0
1769 - 4
1770 - 3
1771 - 2
1772 - 3
1773 - 6
1774 - 2
1775 - 5
1776 - 5
1777 - 1
1778 - 6
1779 - 8
1780 - 7
1781 - 1
1782 - 5
1783 - 5
1784 - 12
1785 - 11
1786 - 16
1787 - 7
1788 - 8
1789 - 6
1790 - 7
1791 - 7
1792 - 14
1793 - 38
1794 - 28
1795 - 38
1796 - 93
1797 - 45
1798 - 48
1799 - 112
1800 - 48
1801 - 38
1802 - 56
1803 - 73
1804 - 67
1805 - 72
1806 - 80
1807 - 118
1808 - 88
1809 - 164
1810 - 81
1811 - 65
1812 - 75
1813 - 70
1814 - 45
1815 - 58
1816 - 83
1817 - 54
1818 - 44
1819 - 43
1820 - 92
1821 - 76
1822 - 66
1823 - 30
1824 - 67
1825 - 44

Wertz used the Fee Books, Parish Registers for New Jerusalem Lutheran
Church) and Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Middleburg, Fairfax Monthly Meeting
records, marriage bonds and minister returns.

The second section of her book, which I did not use in my totals, included
mentions of a husband/wife relationship in Order Books and Deed Books.

Note that it is obvious many marriage records are missing. So if you can't
find a marriage during the early years, it is possible that it was one of
many which did not survive over the years.

Pat Duncan