VANORTHU-L Archives

Archiver > VANORTHU > 2006-04 > 1146438421

From: Dian Mahaney <>
Subject: Re: [VANORTHU-L] Ancestors of Peter Routt
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:07:01 -0500

Tim,

Checking the St. Stephen's Parish Register, Beverly Fleet has transcribed
George's date of birth as Aug 16, 1692. (Virginia colonial Abstracts
Vol. 1 Northumberland Co. Births 1661-1810. Abstracted by Beverly Fleet)

And as I said since Martha was Peter's mother-in-law she could not have
been his mother as well. So even if George was his father, Martha is not
his mother.

There are records of the same family/individuals in Richmond County as
well as Northumberland. There is a Thomas Routt who is the father of
several children who would have been adults by 1700. This Thomas may have
been a brother of Richard. There isn't a listing for Peter. Since Peter's
date of birth is given so exactly, someone must believe they have found a
record of the birth. It might be recorded in the North Farnum Parish
register of Richmond County.

In the most simple terms there were two parishes in Northumberland Co.
St. Stephen's Parish, and Wiccomico Parish. The Parish Registers that
contained records of birth, etc. for Wiccomico Parish is missing. There
isn't a records of it being destroyed, it was missing when other parish
records were returned to Wiccomico Parish. I have a record of a
Revolutionary War widows pension that included a copy of a page of the
Wicommico Parish Register. So it was still in existence when she applied
for a pension many years after the Revolution. But no one knows what
happened to it.

Dian

This thread: