VAPATRIC-L Archives

Archiver > VAPATRIC > 2010-03 > 1269029875

From: ". ." <>
Subject: Re: [VAPATRIC] ROLL CALL: Martin, Taylor, Hodge, Craddock, Bishop,Fulcher, Penn, Perdie/Purdy, Arnold, West, Wood
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 16:17:55 -0400

Hello John: I'm a double descendant of Isaac's son William and Delphia Martin. My two lines from Wm are via their children Giles and Tobitha; Giles Martin who m Nancy Ingram and Tobitha Martin who m James Gardner.

Did you realize that Susanna Purdy Rogers was your ancestress' name when she married Isaac Martin? Here is a transcription of their m rec -

Oct 11, 1827 ISAAC MARTIN, SR. and SUSANNA ROGERS. Sur. Zachariah H Taylor. Min. Joshua Adams. M. R. 21 Oct 1827.

You've no doubt seen my notes on Isaac and Phyllis Martin but just for clarification I do not think Isaac was a son of John Martin and Martha Burwell. My reasoning as follows:

According to my calculations, Isaac had to be born on or before 1700 and he also is NOT listed among the children of John Martin and Martha Burwell.

Isaac Martin patented land in King and Queen County VA 1720.

It was a 340 acre patent. This land later was in Caroline Co VA.. In 1757 Isaac Martin & wife Phillis deeded land to Isaac Martin Jr & John Martin in Caroline Co VA.

Halifax Co., VA Will Book 1, pg. 58 dated 4 May 1769; Probated: 17 Feb 1774. Mentioned in his Last Will was children Jacob, John, James, Giles, Isaac, Hannah, Rachel, Elizabeth, Mary, Sarah and William.

Isaac of Halifax patented land in 1759 next to John Tribble and Joseph Collins on Childrey's Branch. 1765 he witnessed a deed of Benjamin Hubbard and wife Hannah Martin Hubbard.

Col. John Martin and wife, Martha Burwell had only three sons, George, John and Samuel. Col Martin had one brother who went to Virginia, his name was Henry.

Source: "Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography", edited by Lyon Gardiner

Tyler, Published 1915, Lewis Historical Publishing Company

Original from Harvard University

p. 285

Best, Cousin Debbie