VARNDEAN-L Archives

Archiver > VARNDEAN > 2003-01 > 1043064391

From: "Bert's Varndean Stuff" <>
Subject: Re: Jobs for the boys
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 12:07:49 -0000

Hi Pat

I owe a lot to Messrs Salter, Ashcroft, Pannet, Wilcox etc. I left to do
French and Russian and Bradford, then joined Reuters as a trainee
journalist, and after a trainee posting in Paris, spent 3 years in Buenos
Aires, where I resuscitated my A-level Spanish (though it gained an
Argentine accent), then 2 in Belgrade (crash course in Serbo-Croat), then
1-1/2 in Cuba. I go back to Latam whenever I can, and love living in
Spanish. (There was even a three-month spell shacked up with a Mexican babe
in Havana when we spoke nothing else at home). I often remember that if it
hadn't been for Varndean's modern language teaching, none of this would have
happened. Gracias, Merci, Spasibo and Hvala Lepo, teachers!

Bert Clack