VASCOTT-L Archives

Archiver > VASCOTT > 2000-11 > 0973439168

From: "Jean Brand" <>
Subject: [VASCOTT-] Re: frazier murders
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 07:46:08 -0800

Vicki,

Mine is Adelina Barnett and Joshua Daniel Frazier connection. Adeline was a
sister to my John Barnett, so guess that makes us cousins somewhere down the
road!.

Shirley and I have been beating the bushes so to speak about these murders,
Jean Pierson another cousin is digging more at the court house for more
records.

The murders were over land dispute. Eli Barnett (brother to Adeline) was
given some land by James Barnett,Jr, upon his death as the story goes (and
some fact have been found on this story) Eli died and left his wife Permila
Lyons his land, she died 4-4-1920, before her death, two Frazier boys (her
nephews by marriage)got her to sign over the land, telling her that she had
to file something at the court house there at Gate City, she made her mark
(she could read nor write) on the deed and they took it to Gate City and had
their names or Frazier name placed on the deed. After her death her son
Thomas Barnett's son John R. Barnett started handling thing for his father,
only to learn they had been "cheated " out of his grandmother's land by two
of his cousins. The land was where James Barnett,Jr had his home and his
children where born (one can stand on the porch of James "Bo" Berry home
(descendand of Margaret Peggy Barnett)sister to Eli Barnett) and see the
spot where the murder happened. Anyhow, John found the two Frazier cousins
(descendants of Aeline Barnett and Josuha Danile Frazier) shot them with a
shot gun, he was arested and went to prison for 20 years for the murder(s).
It is unclearn in the court papers if he murdered one or both of them. When
I was back in Virginia last year having dinner at Bo and Tammy's, Bo started
telling me the story, being one that can't leave a stone unturned, I met
with Jean Pierson earlier that day(from Sarah Elizabeth Barnett and James
Baxter Pierson line) Sarah was a sister to my John, Adeline, Margaret and
Eli Barnett) called and asked her to search for the records. She found the
some of the court records and since we all have gone over this murder(s)
with a fine tooth comb, learning more each time. Now we do know forsure
Creed and Wiley Frazier were the ones that John found on the Barnett land.
Now I have found another couple Creed Fraziers that has caused some
confliction in my personal files. One being a Sheriff Creed Frazier, also
related to the Barnetts. Once I have learn the full facts and lineages I'll
sure let you know.

Now Norman "Mac" Mcnutt is going to Gate City to meet up with Jean Pierson,
they plan to climb to the (guess you would call it the tower) pull out those
records and copy for me. They are also going to pull the Frazier death
recrds for that time frame, checking to see just who where their parents,
etc. that should give the proof we all are wanting to know.

Now a few years ago the Frazier's lost that peice of land to back taxes and
Bo and his brother bought the land on the steps of the court house there in
Gate City, Scott Co., VA. Now when I was back there I heard just about the
same story from other cousins, seems all I heard was about the muder(s),
land dispute and bad feelings, so now you know the story as I have been told
by different ones in e-mails and snail letters from VA.

Didn't mean to write you a book, sorry about that.
Jean Brand
2254 W. Gettysburg
Fresno, CA 93705
&