VAYORK-L Archives

Archiver > VAYORK > 2011-02 > 1296955015

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [VAYORK] David Minitree arrived at York 1700, m1. by 1701
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 01:16:55 -0000

Author: pmwilson84
Surnames: Minitree, Menetrier, Menestrier, Sublette, Ammonet, Sally, Guerant, Fraisse, Ince, Cary?
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.virginia.counties.york/1250.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

More confusion, I'm afraid. My appologies.
Peter

Sent:Tuesday,February21,200611:52AM
Subject: Jacob Andrew Minitree
Hi Cathy, Here is some old correspondence on the family:

Dear Mr. Vinard,
I enjoyed reading your genealogy on the Vinard and related families online. The Huguenot families of Vivarais married among themselves for over three centuries, and even emigrated together after 1685, when the Edict of Nantes was revoked. I note a Jeanne and Pierre Menestrier in your own genealogy, and also the marriage of Paul Menestrier to Jeanne Fraisse on 5 March 1684 in the Eglise Reformee in Annonay. Paul had a son, Jacques [Jacob in English], but I could not find a David Menestrier born 1675 -1685 in Vivarais.

David Menestrier arrived in Virginia 20 Sep. 1700 on Capt. Daniel Perreau's ship "Peter and Anthony." He worked as a bricklayer and smith by 1710 on the capitol and prison in Williamsburg, and died by 1711. He is certainly the David "Menetries" who was naturalized in VA with 148 other Huguenots in 1705.

David married [2nd?] Bridget, the widow of John Ince [WHEN DID John INCE DIE?], former keeper of the public goal in Williamsburg, by February 1710. David's widow, Bridget, purchased lots #272 & 273 in Williamsburg in 1719, so she must have had some inheritance from her own family [Cary?] or those of her [2?] husbands.

One son of the immigrant was surely Jacob Andrew "Minitree" (c.1706-c.1740), of Charles Co. MD, who m. Rosamund Holland, a daughter of Thomas Holland (1697-c.1736). He is my ancestor.

Were the given names David, Paul and Jacques/Jacob common in other Huguenot families of Vivarais? Did any of those other families emigrate to Holland or England, and finally to Virginia? I would be most grateful for your observations about the Menetrier, Fraisse and related families.

Yours Cordially, Peter Wilson,

Important Note: