VERMONT-L Archives

Archiver > VERMONT > 2001-03 > 0983630103

From: "Bev Farrington" <>
Subject: Re: [VERMONT-L] VT found in Quebec records
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 08:35:03 -0600

Good morning Elaine,

St Johns is undoubtedly the county of St Jean - just north of the Canadian-US border.

>From the marriage repertoire of comte St Jean, I find the following:, but I'm not positive if it is what you are looking for. If you find that any are and would like the spouse's parents, let me know and I'll check the cross-index.

Louis DUMAS (Joseph & Agathe ETHIER)
& Eusebie LEVREAU
m. 7 Jan 1840 at St Valentin

Louis DUMAS and wife Julienne GENDRON had son Jean Baptiste marry Clemence AUDETTE on 20 May 1851 at St Valentin

The first names of Erastus, Newell, and Jewett are not what one normally finds as French first names. It is possible that Newell was distorted from Noel, commonly used as a middle name with Pierre.

If you suspect Anglo ancestry, you might consider that Newell and Jewett were surnames connected with the female lines of the family - a very common practice.

I'm sorry I couldn't find anything positive.

Good luck in your searching,
Bev