VERMONT-L Archives

Archiver > VERMONT > 2001-06 > 0991841783

Subject: [VERMONT-L] Matava/Legay
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:36:23 EDT

Hello,
I have recently found out the my grgrgrandfather, Charles Matava (sp.
may have been changed) was married to Jeanette Legay. Both were from Canada,
but where in Canada I do not know. Charles bought property in Brighten, Essex
County, Vt., the last parcel being Sept. of 1861. Then he brought property in
Danville, Caledonia County, Vermont 1864-1884.
I am interested in how to find records of the property transactions and
if Jeanette Legay Matava died in Vermont, maybe Essex County, Vt. I know that
Charles remarried in 1867, but have no idea what happened to his first wife.
Most of my information comes from family memories.
I also would accept any suggestions on how to start searching in Canada
with the little information I have. I know they were Catholic and Charles's
sons were known to speak French.
Thank you
Linda

This thread: