VERMONT-L Archives

Archiver > VERMONT > 2003-04 > 1049223851

From: MK <>
Subject: [VERMONT] Richard GRIFFIN Research
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 11:04:13 -0800 (PST)

I found what I could, not knowing where you found Richard Griffin (what state) in the 1850 Census (I searched for Richard Griffin in VT) but there was only one, and he was listed in Pownal, VT, age 18. It would be nice know where you found this family in the 1850 Census so that I could see what else I might be able to find--please respond with this 1850 Census information if you would like me to see what else I can find. This might also help locate this family (or some of it's members) in the 1880 U.S. Census, which I did search, but had no luck.

The following is I found. Please be aware that LDS records can have errors as well as the information recorded on the census, and on other information sources, so it is wise to try and verify information that you receive for accuracy.

1850 Census Burlington, Chittenden Co., VT

William Cameron, age 42, laborer, b. Canada

M. Cameron, (female) age 42, b. Canada

Ellen Cameron, age 18, b. Canada

Peter Cameron, age 13, b. VT, attended school within the year

Emma Cameron, age (10 or 14), b. VT, attended school within the year

1860 Census Colchester, Chittenden Co., VT, Pg. 247

Richard Griffin, age 24, b. VT

Emma Griffin, age 20, b. VT

Emma Griffin, age 1, b. VT

1870 Census Hinesburgh, Chittenden Co., VT, Page 589

Richard Griffin, age 35, farmer, b. VT

Emma Griffin, age 30, keeping house, b. VT

Emma Griffin, age 11, b. VT, attended school within the year

Nellie Griffin, age 9, b. VT, attended school within the year

Mary Griffin, age 7, b. VT, attended school within the year

William Griffin, age 5, b. VT

John Griffin, age 2, b. VT

1870 Census Hinesburgh, Chittenden Co., VT, Page 590

Richard Griffin, age 70 or 80, works in woolen factory, b. MA

Thankful Griffin, age 28, keeping house, b. VT

Rebecca Griffin, age 31, b. VT

Sydney Griffin, age 19, farm laborer, b. VT

The following information was obtained from LDS (familysearch.org) website:

BIRTH: Emma A. Cameron, About 1837 Colchester, Chittenden Co., VT

MARRIAGE: 23 May 1858 Colchester, Chittenden Co., VT

Groom: Richard Joseph Dearborn Giffin, born 17 FEB 1833 Hardwick, Caledonia, Vermont

BIRTH: Nelly Griffin

13 April 1861 Burlington Twp., Chittenden Co., VT

FATHER: R. Griffin

MOTHER: Erna Cammeron

Hope this helps.