VERMONT-L Archives

Archiver > VERMONT > 2008-04 > 1209332158

From: MK <>
Subject: [VERMONT] Derby, VT - Nancy Hanson
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:35:58 -0700 (PDT)

Searching Google.com (digitized books), I found a "Report of the State Board of Health of the State of Vermont" by Vermont State Board of Health, Vermont, State Board of Health - Public health - 1904/1905.

This book has the number of deaths for each town (don't know if this is all of Vermont or just certain towns), causes of death, number of marriages and births, as well as other information on these events. I did not have the time to page through it all, as it is many pages. For example, I noticed one item under births where it listed if the parents were U.S. and of foreign birth--things like this that I thought were interesting. It did not give names of individuals.

On page 62, there is (News Items, Lived to be 100 Years and Over). This was for the years 1904 and 1905. Under 1905, for the town of Derby, VT, it lists Nancy North Hanson, age 100 years, 9 mo., and 1 day.

http://books.google.com/books?id=PsxNAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA4-PA62&dq=nancy+hanson+derby+vermont

I doing from research on some Hansons that were in Derby. I am wondering if the Nancy that lived to be 100 is the same Nancy that was the wife of Isaac Hanson, found in Derby, VT in the 1880 census (Isaac and Nancy Hanson, and Walter, grandson).

In the 1880 census for Nancy Hanson, it says she was born in Canada, about 1814 (I actually think she was older than this). In the 1900 census at Derby, VT, Nancy Hanson is age 91, widowed, b. Canada, immigrated to the U.S. in 1869, and living with her grandson, Walter Hanson):

1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Nancy Hanson
Home in 1900: Derby, Orleans, Vermont
Age: 91
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1809
Birthplace: Canada English
Relationship to head-of-house: Grandmother, Grandma (Grandmother)
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1869
Household Members: Name Age
Walter Hanson 34
Mary Hanson 33
Martha Hanson 14
Oscar Hanson 13
Edgar Hanson 12
George Hanson 9
Harry Hanson 7
Annie Hanson 5
Charles Hanson 3
Nancy Hanson 2
Baby Hanson, 0
Nancy Hanson, grandmother, b. Dec. 1808, widowed, mother of 1 child - 1 child living, b. Canada (English), parents b. Canada (English), immigrated to the U.S in 1869, in the U.S. for 31, years.
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: Derby, Orleans, Vermont; Roll: T623 1693; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 164.

I believe Isaac and Nancy's son was George Worth Hanson, which makes me wonder if Nancy's maiden name was Worth and not North?

George Hanson was born at Derby, VT, or in Quebec, or NY--depends on which record you are looking at.

George's first marriage was to Sarah Ann Stearns, at Stanstead, Quebec, on December 11, 1859. George's name on this record is (George Worth Hanson), and he signed it as (George W. Hanson). I have this image from Ancestry.com's Canadian records database. No parents are listed on the record. Sarah went on to marry again to an (unknown) Winslow, and moved to California to live with her sister, Mary.

George Hanson married second to a Caroline E. Badger, about 1867/68, and they had a daughter, Julia E. Hanson, b. 1868-70.

Curious if anyone would have further information on this family group or might be connected in some manner.