VESTAL-L Archives

Archiver > VESTAL > 1997-01 > 0852509496

From: <>
Subject: Re: VESTAL, Notes 3 and 4
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 19:11:36 -0500

Note 3 on Vestals from Jay Group information:

Avis Gordin who wrote the foregoing added the following transcription of a
handwritten will of William Vestal:

The Last Will and Testament of William Vestal, Westtown, Chester Co.,
Pennsylvania.

"My will Maid ye 19th January 1701-02
In the name of God, Amen, I William Vastall, living in the Township of
westtown, in the County Chester, so have ordained and considered this my last
will and testament, Being of Sound Judgment and of perfect Remembrance,
praised be almighty god for his Mercy, though weak in body and finding my
self to decay in body, am Willing to Set my house in order before I go hence,
and for this purpose doe Here ordain this will and testament as follows:

First I bequeath my body to ye earth and be decently burying according as my
Executors (hereafter named ) shall think fit. And Faithfully resigning up my
soul into ye hands of God, my Creator, hopping to receive pardon of all my
sins by the death and suffering of my lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who is
my Redeemer. Impimos.

I leave and bequeath to Alice my wife, all my land and Musage which I am now
living upon and occupy, being 1 hundred twenty fore acquires, during the time
of her Natural Life, and all my goods and Chattels and Cattles ( excepting
such as shall be here after named,) paying all my debts which I owe. And
After to descend to my son William Vastall, after ye decease of Alice, my
wife, and my son William Vastaal, shall pay unto my son George Vastall, ye
just Some of thirty pounds of lawful money, according to ye passable coyne
of ye province out of ye estate, as after that my son, William Vastall, comes
legally installed in ye property.

Item, I leave unto my daughter Mary, one cow, and two breeding mares, and two
horse colts, with their increase ( ye Cow her increase excepted) and Like
Wise to Receive a --------and a hacholl and these to be delivered when she
comes to ye age of one and twenty, or before if her mother thinks fit.

And likewise I ordain my wife Alice Vastall, to be executor, with my loving
friend, Thomas Powell, of ye town of Providence, of County Chester, Yomen
Junior, to be joint executor with my wife to see this my will duly and truly
executed according as I have appointed.

William Vestal his mark ( this is an inked thumb print, as seal)

( Conclusion of will of William (1) Vestal, Senior, witnesses and proving)

Sealed and delivered in ye presents of
X John Wood
X Nathaniel Ring
Robert Way (?)
Robert Jefferies x my mark

Philadelphia, Feb. 20th, 1701

There personally appeared John Wood and Nathaniel Ring, two of the witnesses
to the above will; and on their solemn Affirmation do declare they saw above
named, William Vastall sign, seal, publish and declare the above writing to
be his last will and Testament, and he was at the doing thereof of sound mind
and memory, to the best of their knowledge.
......................County Court (/) Reg. Gen
( unable to read
signature.)"

Note 4 on Mary Vestal Jay's family. Mary Vestal was the daughter of William
Vestal Jr., son of William Vestal.
2. The Glovers and Lambolls (ancestors of Mary Vestal Jay's mother)

Mary Vestal Jay's mother, Alice Glover (Brunsden) Vestal was the daughter of
George Glover and Alice Lamboll. Alice Lamboll was the daughter of George
and Sarah Lamboll.

George and Alice Lamboll Glover had daughters Alice and Hannah Glover. Hannah
Glover married Joseph Gilpin of Dorchester in the county of Oxon (Oxford)
England, December 23, 1691, at Baghurst in the county of Southampton,
England. Legend has it that Hannah Glover Gilpin and Joseph Gilpin came to
Pennsylvania from England in 1695 and settled on land in Birmingham, where it
is said that 13 of their 15 children were born in a cave.

Denise, member of the Jay Discussion Group wrote that her
husband is descended from one of the daughters of Hannah and Joseph Gilpin
(probably born in the cave).

The following information was taken from:"Colonial and Revolutionary Families
of Pennsylvania" by John W. Jordan, LL.D., Volume 1, 1911, pages 606-607:

"Joseph Gilpin, third son and sixth child of Thomas and Joan (Bartholomew)
Gilpin, was born, June 8, 1663, at Warborough, Oxfordshire, and at the date
of his marriage, February 23, 1690-1, was a weaver at Dorchester in the same
county, as shown by the certificate of his marriage to Hannah Glover, "of
Ichingwell in
ye parish of Kingsclerc, and County of Southton, spinster, daughter of George
Glover of the same place, deceased, and Alice his wife, him surviving," at
"an Assembly of the People of God called Quakers, in their publick meeting
place at Baghurst, County of Southton, aforesaid." Which certificate is
entered on
the records of Concord Friends Meeting, Delaware county, Pennsylvania, where
the certificate of Joseph Gilpin and his wife "from Friends in England" was
deposited February 10, 1695-6.

Alice Glover, the mother mentioned in the above quoted certificate was a
sister to William Lamboll, of Reading, Berkshire, England, who by deeds of
lease and release dated June 28 and 30, 1683, purchased of William Penn 625
acres of land to be laid out in Pennsylvania. George Glover, had beside
Hannah (Glover) Gilpin, another daughter, Alice Glover, who December 19,
1680, married John
Brunsden of Bucklebury, to whom William Lamboll, by deed dated August 2,
1684, conveyed 100 acres of his Pennsylvania land. October 12, 1684, he
conveyed another 100 acres thereof to his sister Alice (Lamboll) Glover, of
Dorchester, County Oxford, for her use for life, then to her daughter Hannah
Gilpin. John and Alice (Glover) Brunsden came to Pennsylvania to settle on
the land conveyed to them by Lamboll, and by virtue of warrant of survey,
dated November 11, 1684, the whole 625 acres were laid out in Birmingham
township, Chester county (Pennsylvania) , by John Brunsden, for the said
William Lamboll, who never came to Pennsylvania, dying at Reading, County
Berkshire, England, October 3, 1720, in his eighty-sixth year.

By deed, dated December 9, 1704, William Lamboll conveyed 75 acres to Joseph
Gilpin, and by another deed, dated May 18, 1716, 250 acres of the 625 acre
purchase, making their holdings on the Brandywine, 425 acres. This tract was
nearly a century later the scene of the historic battle of Brandywine.

Joseph Gilpin, his wife Hannah and their two eldest children arrived at New
Castle in the autumn of 1695, and from thence made their way on foot to their
new home in the primitive wilderness, still inhabited by the Indians, with
whom he and his family remained on intimate terms for many years. Their
first residence was in a cave on the bank of the Brandywine, where their
first American
born child was born. Joseph Gilpin was the patriarch of the early English
settlement of that section and for many years acted as the agent of later
settlers in securing homes for them in the wilderness. He died on his
Birmingham, Pennsylvania plantation, November 9,1 1739, and his widow and
the mother of this fifteen children survived until January 12, 1757, when all
of her fifteen children were married, and she had sixty-two grandchildren and
several great grand-children.

Taken from: "History of Chester County, PA", by Futhey and Cope,
page 570:
"Their first dwelling was a cave on the side of a hill, such as was
frequently used by the early settlers until better structures could be
provided. Its exact site can yet (1881) be pointed out on the farm late the
property of John D. Gilpin, about one
mile south of Dilworthstown."

George Glover, Mary Vestal Jay's maternal grandfather, was from the English
village of Ecchinswell near the town of Kingsclere, in the County of
Hampshire, England. Ecchinswell is about 15 miles southeast of Reading,
County Berkshire, about 10 miles northwest of Basingstoke, in the County of
Hampshire; and about 28 miles due north of Southampton in the County of
Hampshire. He died in 1691.

Alice Lamboll Glover's brother, William Lamboll, was born in 1634 at Reading,
Berkshire, England. William Lamboll and Elizabeth Tudway wed on February
22, 1674, at Reading, Berkshire England. This was a second marriage for
William Lamboll.

William Lamboll was a prominent Friend (Quaker) who purchased land in William
Penn's new colony. William Penn obtained a charter for the Province of
Pennsylvania from King Charles II of England, dated March 4, 1680-1681,( the
year in that day beginning on the 25th day of March). William Penn began at
once after receiving the charter to sell land in the new province to
prospective immigrants prior to their arrival in the colonies. William
Lamboll , 49 years old, bought 625 acres from William Penn as recorded by a
deed dated June 29, 1683.

William Lamboll of Reading in Berkshire, England was described as a
"mealman."

Lamboll's 625 acres was surveyed by John Brunsden, husband of his niece
Alice Glover Brunsden. On October 12, 1694, William Lamboll conveyed a life
estate in 100 acres of the Chester County property to his widowed sister,
Alice Lamboll Glover with the remainder going at her death to her daughter,
Hannah Glover Gilpin.

William Lamboll died August 3, 1720 at the age of 86 years and was buried
four days later on August 7, 1720 at Reading New Ground, England.

To review these "Alice and Hannahs," Alice Lamboll and George Glover were
PARENTS of:
1. Alice Glover who married John Brunsden in Bucks County, England 10th
month, 19th day, 1680. This couple had 3 children: Hannah Brunsden, John
Brunsden (Jr.) who died unmarried and Alice Brunsden who married and had a
child, but both mother and child died soon after childbirth. Alice Glover
Brunsden was widowed by 1687, and then married William Vestal Sr. in
1691/1692. They were the parents of William Vestal Jr. (father of Mary
Vestal Jay), George Vestal, Mary Vestal, and Sarah Vestal ( who died by
drowning as a child).
2. Hannah Glover who married Joseph Gilpin in 1691, had 15 children.

Thus, there were two Hannahs----1). the daughter of Alice Lamboll Glover,
(Hannah Glover) who married Joseph Gilpen in 1691, and 2). the daughter of
Alice Glover Brunsden, Hannah Brunsden.

This thread: