VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES-L Archives

Archiver > VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES > 2011-03 > 1300152523

From: Harriott Lomax <>
Subject: Re: [VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES] Howard
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:28:43 -0400

THANK YOU so much, my maternal ggrandfather John Alston was from Warren Co., NC. Migrated to VA after he married, My grandmother (Mary Janet ALSTON), was quite young (3 or 4) when the family left NC. Not absolutely sure of Indian ancestory there.

My grandfather, Mary Janet's husband William Jeff BOOTH, had some Indian ancestors. One of my aunts, told me when they questioned their father about their Indian heritage, he refused to talk about it, letting them know the subject was not to be mentioned again. I would like to find out more about his grandfather Augustine BOOTH. Augustine was listed in the 1860 census living alone, an indication that he might have been an Indian passing himself off as a free Negro. His wife, Rose, was a slave probably livng under the same roof as her husband, but listed on a slave schedule as the property of her owners. She is shown on the 1870 census living with her husband Augustine.

I have been researching my ancestors for 20- years. Last Year I decided to concentrate on my paternal grandmother, and her ancestry. It has been a thrilling experience.

Harriott