VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES-L Archives

Archiver > VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES > 2011-03 > 1300152523

From: Harriott Lomax <>
Subject: Re: [VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES] Howard
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:28:43 -0400
References: <8CDAEFA47FEFA06-1F88-2DD9B@webmail-d014.sysops.aol.com>, ,<AANLkTim=ANmmSU829gCnLNgLvNQd_YajRNJccSUudG=J@mail.gmail.com>, ,<8CDAFA2751AD7A8-1730-1956A@webmail-m140.sysops.aol.com>,<COL101-W526F4E82B526F238C4D5A1ACCC0@phx.gbl>,<8CDB05DAAF6F519-1AAC-70FBE@Webmail-d111.sysops.aol.com>
In-Reply-To: <8CDB05DAAF6F519-1AAC-70FBE@Webmail-d111.sysops.aol.com>

THANK YOU so much, my maternal ggrandfather John Alston was from Warren Co., NC. Migrated to VA after he married, My grandmother (Mary Janet ALSTON), was quite young (3 or 4) when the family left NC. Not absolutely sure of Indian ancestory there.

My grandfather, Mary Janet's husband William Jeff BOOTH, had some Indian ancestors. One of my aunts, told me when they questioned their father about their Indian heritage, he refused to talk about it, letting them know the subject was not to be mentioned again. I would like to find out more about his grandfather Augustine BOOTH. Augustine was listed in the 1860 census living alone, an indication that he might have been an Indian passing himself off as a free Negro. His wife, Rose, was a slave probably livng under the same roof as her husband, but listed on a slave schedule as the property of her owners. She is shown on the 1870 census living with her husband Augustine.

I have been researching my ancestors for 20- years. Last Year I decided to concentrate on my paternal grandmother, and her ancestry. It has been a thrilling experience.

Harriott

> From:
> Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:51:27 -0400
> Subject: Re: [VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES] Howard
> Hi Harriot: I noticed Alston is one of the names you're researching.There is a Chief Lynnette Allston of the Nottoway Tribe of Virginia located in Southampton County,Va.The is also my tribe-The Cheroenhaka (Nottoway)Tribe of Southampton County,Va.I am a newly admitted member. I have relatives who wee admitted years ago. The key is you have to establish a establish a paper trail-which I did-and I was able to get 5 generations. It was word of mouth,40 years of genealogy research ,visits to a county court house ,etc. I would also suggest you try.,will check their Ancestry.com,Afrigeneas(they have a fpoc and black-native forum) also the historical societies in the counties you're interested in.I know I have ties to a couple of other tribes in my familial homeland, it will be a little harder to prove,but I think it can be done.
> "Star Wolf"
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Harriott Lomax <>
> To: virginia-indian-surnames <>
> Sent: Sun, Mar 13, 2011 5:38 pm
> Subject: Re: [VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES] Howard
> PLEASE tell me what is a free slave? The truth, there is no such thing, a person
> is either enslaved or is free. If an individual was once enslaved then later
> emancipated, then that person is considered a freeD slave, one cannot be both.
> The first Africans, of record, that arrived in 1619 were treated lthe same as
> English indentured servants. Forced to work for a period of time then set free,
> there were several communities of free Blacks in Virginia even before the
> Revolution. Freedom did not come to the slaves until 1865 with the passage of
> the 13th ammendment to our Constitution. The Emancipation Proclaimation freed
> only the slaves in the states that were in rebellion against the federal
> government.
> As for the Indians, can you blame them for not wanting to share their stories,
> they shared everything with the English, the first few years after their (the
> English) arrival. If it were not for the Indians the early settlers would have
> starved to death. What did they (the Indians) recieve in return? Their land
> was stolen away from them, their population was drastically deminished due to
> the diseases brought in by the English, and the English even tried to wipe out
> their culture and customes by trying to "civilize the heathans" teaching them
> their brand of Christianity rather than trying to understand the Indian's way of
> worshiping God. To top it all off. a little over a hundred years ago, a man by
> the name of Plecker ordered the "I" erased from the census rolls in VA.
> Harriott
> Searching for LOMAX (SC>VA), WASHINGTON (VA), MOORE (VA)
> BOOTH (VA) & ALSTON (NC>VA)
> > To:
> > From:
> > Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 10:31:22 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES] Howard
> > There were free slaves long before 1863 based on various reasons. It is true
> that to much is hidden and evn today tribes continue to keep stories among
> themselves. It woudl be wonderful if these stories were written and preserved
> for future generations. My lines are of mixed heritage as well in Virginia &
> most difficult to establish or find leads. There are thousands of families in
> Virginia that may never find the true facts about family lines resulting from
> indentured servants, slaves & native heritage. Many slave owners used poor
> people for their own selfish will & did not acknowledge or record them. They
> used their first name only or listed a slave with an age only etc. They also
> left many children in the wake of their selfish desires.
> > You may consider how the name Lulisha is spelled and consider another spelling
> based on the sound. Where were they in VA?
> > Joyce
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: Betty Mathews <>
> > To: virginia-indian-surnames <>
> > Sent: Sat, Mar 12, 2011 5:06 pm
> > Subject: Re: [VIRGINIA-INDIAN-SURNAMES] Howard
> > They hid it because to be Indian meant persecution, hatred and general bad
> > reatment ranging from contempt to murder. Slaves weren't free until after
> > 863 so Indians were treated no better than slaves were. Sorry if I sound
> > ngry but Indians today are STILL treated like crap in some states of our
> > wn country. Let alone back then. My heritage has been stolen because my
> > eople did not want to leave Virginia and go to Oklahoma, Then came and took
> > ur property even though we dressed like whites, and lived like whites, and
> > e believed that it would not happen. But it did and thousands of Cherokees
> > ied on a forced march that began in 1938 here is a link for you. I post
> > his so you understand. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears
> > Oisyo Looksfar
> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Denise McDonald <> wrote:
> > > I am looking for any information regarding a George W Howard, born c
> > 1842, who married a woman named Lulisha, b c 1845, in Virginia. My
> > father has told me that they were indian, but hid that information from
> > others. I do not understand why they would hid it at that time, but
> > who knows. I cannot find any Lulishas listed... Thank you. Denise
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > with the word 'unsubscribe'
> > without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> > ------------------------------
> > o unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > ith the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
> > he message
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
> the message
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
> the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message