VIRGINIA-L Archives

Archiver > VIRGINIA > 2003-09 > 1063934814

From: "s_moten" <>
Subject: [VIRGINIA] Lilly family; John Lilly 1600/1700
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 21:33:15 -0400

I have a John Lilly that came from England, On June 20, 1642 John Lilly and
his eife secured "land grant of 350 acres situated in Milford Haven Creek,
York County. Milford Haven was in that portion of York County which became
Gloucester County in 1651 and Mathews County in 1790.

According to the records of Colonia Gloucester County, Va.", compiled by Mrs
Polly Cary Mason, the "Roxbury" lands now in Mathews County Virginia are a
part of the original grant to John Lilly in 1642 and inherited by
descendants.

Mary, his wife, married Edmund chisman prior to 1646. This statement is
confirmed by court records of York County which states that edmund Chisman
was the stepfather to John Lilly, orphan.

So, John Lilly died sometime between the purchase of the land and the
marriage of his wife to Edmund Chisman.

John the orphan, married Dorothy Wade, daughter of Arminger Wade

John and Dorothy had two children:

John (born 3, Aug 1669, in Pocosin Parish, VA - ) who married a Miss
Billup (I think Mary Billup) whose father was Richard Billups. I think she
was born around 1672 in Virginia) They settled in Gloucester County, Va.

Mary Lilly, who married Robert Reade of York County, VA

John had I think 8 children
1. Robert Lilly married Francis Moody and eventually settled around
Bluestone River in Summers County, WV. (my ancestry)

2. John Lilly went west early in life and so passed out of the Gloucester
County Records

3. Edmund Lilly married Anne ____. Had three children: John, Mary and
William

4. Arminger Lilly married Elizabeth ______ and had 10 children: Samuel,
Arminger Jr, William, John, Pleasant, Elizabeth, Rachel, Ann, Mary and
Robert

5. Thomas Lilly settled in what is now Fluvanna County. Had 4 children.
Robert, Edmond, Joshua, Ann

6. William Lilly died Sept 12, 1781 in Gloucester County. He had 7
children: John Captain Thomas, William A, Richard, Nancy, Eliza and Ann

7. Dorothy Lilly, no data

8. Elizabeth Lilly married Dr. Robert Phillipson of York County, Va.

Sandy

Sandra Moten
1562 University Lane, Unit 706
Cocoa, Florida 32922