VTWASHIN-L Archives

Archiver > VTWASHIN > 2004-01 > 1073037557

Subject: [VTWASHIN] Re: LANDERS or SANDERS, Lucina P.
Date: 2 Jan 2004 02:59:17 -0700

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/1AC.2ACI/65.264.2

Message Board Post:

Hi Fran!

This isn't answering your question, but spotted your post & wanted to mention that, very frequently, some of the earlier forms of handwriting (especially that era) would be done in a way that a capital "L" looked more like a capital "S" as we'd see today... and if you look at any definite (without-a-doubt) capital "S's" written by that same person, you'll see they were slightly different from the "L".

So you may in fact find that your first record as SANDERS is very likely LANDERS, which matches her death record! But whenever it comes to genealogy, we all have to check every angle & never "assume" anything. Boy I learned that the hard way, LOL.

I've had similar problems, but mine were more often with first names, i.e. "Syman " was actually "Lyman"... a little easier to determine vs. surnames :-)

Good luck in your search. Hope you find what you need!
~ Donna

This thread: